Author Topic: Water Butts and Standing water.  (Read 2168 times)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
Water Butts and Standing water.
« on: March 24, 2004, 11:45:13 »
Just a quicky.

I was pottering about in the lottie the other night when one of the other holders asked if I wanted some of his water butts as he was moving to another plot which had a load of butts left over.

He mentioned that it was best to water the lottie with water which had stood a while in the butts rather than tap water straight from the house (as this is what we had intended to do).

Is their anything in this or is a old lottie's tale?

PS - on another thread someone mentioned putting the roots of perenial weeds in the water butts to rot down any advise on this. As we have loads of weed roots that we are to scared to put in the composter at the moment.  Especially loads of dock roots....d**n they are huge >:(

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Water Butts and Standing water.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 12:41:48 »
I think the reason you let tap water stand is so the chlorine, or whatever chemicals are added to tap water, can disipate (is that a real word....is that what I mean...?)  Rain water is free, and I guess the only chemicals in it are those from the atmosphere.  No idea about the weed roots - I think you would end up with super smelly water!   :-X

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:44:06 »
Hi Les, leaving water to stand allows the impurities to dissolve, so I'd say it'd be better for the plants. Also, water from a butt is generally warmer than water straight from a cold tap, (well, in the warmer weather at least) and would be less of a shock for the roots. Add to that the fact that butts collect rainwater, you're doing your bit for the environment by saving your own :)

Not heard about putting weed roots in, although I'd imagine it'd be similar to making comfrey or nettle tea, so wouldn't see any harm in it.

cheers,
james

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 13:27:18 »
Well thats that then.

I'd best do a rain dance to get me butts filled.... :o :o

jammyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 13:41:20 »
heheh, I can just imagine you out on the lottie with feathers in your hair and moccasins on your feet  ;D

Seriously though, I've had my butts since December, and the smallest one is full already! Good old British weather  ::)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 13:52:43 »
Last night would have been ideal... I could have been dancing around the fire aswell, the better half set the bonfire ablaze yesterday afternoon and come 9pm it was still going.

It was a whopper....... :o :o :o

Les

jammyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 13:55:53 »
Ohh, nice :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - nothing like a good bonfire! Specially when you put spuds and 'snips in the ashes... drool
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 13:56:17 by jammyd »

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 14:08:48 »
Never done that

but rest assured they'll be there next time.

mmmmm :P :P

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 19:29:42 »
I've nothing to add to the water bit (let the chlorine evaporate, catch the rain-water, and its warmer) - but dock roots?

I put them on the compost heap - they've gone to all the effort of burrowing deep down into the sub-soil and pulled up all sorts of trace minerals, and I want those! :)

(Which is a fancy way of saying I'm bone idle ??? - but I've had no problems doing it, as long as I've lifted them before they set seed!)

All best - Gavin

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 08:20:32 »
Thanks for the tip Gavin.

We haven't built a compost heap yet and are using 2 compost bins so lifting them will be a bit of a job  (and like you, I prefer any easy option) :)

Looks like they are gonna get it on the next fire.......look out spuds your not safe either :P

Les

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 16:27:11 »
I always put some Sheep droppings in my water butt.Mind you everyone cant get hold of Sheep droppings.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal