Author Topic: Buckwheat Recipes  (Read 2607 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Buckwheat Recipes
« on: June 26, 2006, 20:26:53 »
I just wondered if anyone had any buckwheat recipes!

Gadfium

• Acre
Re: Buckwheat Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 21:45:27 »
Have you got the raw buckwheat or the pre-roasted 'kasha' buckwheat? 

I've only used the raw buckwheat, and am very taken with the taste.  I use it as a base grain in some dishes where you would usually have rice... generally where the flavours are strong/meaty/rich so the earthy buckwheat doesn't overwhelm the dish.

Favourite dish is from Jenni Muir's 'A Cook's Guide to Grains'...

(per person)

1/2 tbsp vegetable oil/butter/fat
50g buckwheat groats
175ml good stock
salt/pepper

Heat oil, add buckwheat & cook for 5 mins, stirring, until grains become orange-brown and fragrant. Pour in stock, bring to boil, reduce & simmer for 12-15 mins until liquid is absorbed/grains are tender. Meanwhile cook a couple rashers bacon until crumbly/crisp, and add a snipped spring onion too. Crumble into piping hot buckwheat, fluff with a fork, put into bowl and scoff.

I like a variation on this where you use the big open mushrooms sauteed with a bit garlic; also nice - but looks odd - is a poached egg slapped on top and a few greens on the side. For salads, chill, then add your favourite mix (e.g. peppers & spring onions, cucumber & mint, balsamic tomatoes and red onions, lemoned courgettes and peas) and give it a stir.

Most recent experiment was with a buckwheat & mushroom ragout (should have been barley & mushroom), and the meaty flavours of three types of mushrooms - chestnut, field, porcini - worked well with the stock & onion & celery... but forgot to watch the timing & over-cooked it a bit... barley gives you a much wider cooking window.  :)  Nice taste, though!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:56:25 »
I have only every made Russian Buckwheat Blinis with it in the days that I worked in Mayfair and used to buy Beluga caviar for my mum and me!

Russian Buckwheat Blinis

¼ c warm water
1 heaping tsp dry yeast
1 c 2% milk at room temperature
¼ c buttermilk
2 tbs melted butter
2 eggs separated
½ c unbleached flour
1 c Buckwheat flour
¼ tsp salt
butter for skillet
Dissolve yeast in 100-103 F water for 5 minutes Place egg whites in glass bowl in refrigerator to be whisked later. Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix melted butter  with 2% milk then add dissolved yeast. Gently mix these wet ingredients with the dry for 2 minutes by hand. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to rise 2-3 hours in a warm 70-80 degree F location. When risen and full of bubbles, whisk chilled egg whites until stiff peaks form. Mix the buttermilk in with the risen batter, then gently fold in egg whites. Using a good nonstick skillet, lightly brown butter for cooking blinis over medium heat. Pour batter into pan to form 4" pancakes and brown 2-3 minutes per side. Blinis should be kept warm in a low oven and can be stacked loosely to maintain moisture

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 10:12:14 »
Oops sorry - its buckwheat flour I have... want a cakie type recipe!

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 10:25:27 »
Just to confuse things further...

I grew buckwheat as a green manure last year but couldn't bare to chop it down because the flowers were attracting loads of bees and hoverflies. I ended up collecting about 1kg of grain from the crop. Is there anything I can do with this instead of just sowing it for more manure this year? How would you process it to be usable for food and is it worthwhile to grow buckwheat as a food crop?

Robsa

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 12:42:53 »
Almond cake (same book)

125g caster sugar
125g softened butter
3 lge eggs (separated)
150g buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
125g ground almonds
1tsp lemon rind
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
icing sugar (dust top)

Grease 9" spring-clip tin, line base with circle of greaseproof paper, grease this too.
Heat oven to 180C. Put 5 tbsp sugar aside. Put rest of sugar with butter in bowl, and cream well. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in sifted flour, ground almonds, rind and cinnamon... gives a stiff mixture.

In another bowl: whisk egg whites to soft peak stage, then slowly whisk in the 5  tbsp sugar to give stiff meringue. Carefully fold meringue (usually done with metal spoon) into cake mix to give light batter. Put into cake tin, smooth surface. Bake 30-40mins, or until skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in tin for 10mins, then remove & put on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar.

OR... traditionally served filled with blackcurrant jam & cream.

Buckwheat as a food crop... it would need the hull removed (I think), don't know how to
process the seed to remove the seed husks, perhaps a bit of homemade threshing might work?

They might work as buckwheat sprouts http://www.thebirkettmills.com/growing/growingtips_2003.htm, or as buckwheat lettuce... which seems to be quite a delicacy (google on "buckwheat lettuce")
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 13:13:51 by Gadfium »

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 16:44:43 »
thanks gadfium!

Robsa - if you dont manage to eat your buckwheat - i would happily swap some for pumpkin seeds/cabbage seeds or anything else you wanted.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 22:29:13 »
:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal