Author Topic: Hole in the bucket  (Read 6010 times)

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
Hole in the bucket
« on: March 24, 2004, 10:10:44 »
I have a tub trug for many years and the other day I accidentally put a fork through one of them while transferring some compost into it, now to my dismay I have a teeny weeny hole on the base of the bucket. Please would somenone tell me how to mend this hole as I sometimes use it to store rain water as well. Please don't get annoyed with me if this is not the site for this matter. Thank you.

rdak

Re:Hole in the bucket
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 10:25:08 »
you could try some of that gutter repair goo, but not sure if it could stand up to the movement caused by moving the trug around.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 11:12:03 »
Use Milliput available in any diy/ model shop. The box contains 2 sticks of what looks like plastercine. Mix equal quantities together and bung into hole. use a wet finger to smooth out joints. I build model boats and we use this substance for all sorts. It is waterproof and once set can be drilled, sanded ect

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 12:17:09 »
until you can get a proper repair with the stuff Miss Baritone recommends, which sounds perfect - do you have a puncture repair kit for a bike anywhere?  Those patches are quite flexible, and I would assume somewhat waterproof?

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 13:08:47 »
Thank you folks for your very kind suggestions. I have thought about the bicycle idea but 0H didn't think that would work. I'm so delighted with your reply, now I have other options to look into. Thanks very much again.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 13:32:23 »
You could fix it with straw Xanadu. You stuff short pieces of straw in the hole. Cut the straw with an axe. If the axe is too blunt you have to sharpen it. You do that on a wet stone. If the stone is too dry you put water on it. You get the water from the tap in the b.........Ah! You have a problem, Xan.

YT2095

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 13:07:18 »
is it a metal bucket? you could solder some plate from a baked beans tin over it, OR get a nut and bolt with 2 washers and some rubber.

put a washer on the bolt, then a peice of rubber (cut from an old bicycle inner tube) over that.
push that through the hole, then put your other peice of ruber over that and then the second washer, tighten it up with the nut. :))

say it with Flowers... Give her a Triffid :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 13:43:07 »
d**n you Ken - you beat me to it.

Ahh - memories of my childhood. That song, along with Puff the Magic Dragon and There was an old lady who swallowed a fly were always been sung around my house. (Child of the 70s that I am!)
gone to pot :D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 16:06:38 »
Given it's plastic you could try -carefully- melting it with an (old)iron or a soldering iron. If you get it right it'll be as good as new, if you get it wrong..........

Otherwise a blob of silicone sealant would do it.

Jeremy

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 19:47:48 »
Oh this puts me mind many years ago son had a favourite pottie. Some how he got a hole in it and being a tommy tiptree one was expensive.
So I lit a candle and let the wax cover the hole in no time it was covered did it both sides and it survived two more children.
Funny how these memories come flooding back the things we do to save money when were young.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 15:33:46 »
Ha ha Aqui what about 'the runaway train' and 'im a pink tooth brush your a blue tooth brush'. ;D  Showing my age now  :-[
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 17:11:07 »
You could be 6 MiMi ;D They're still churning out tapes with 'Runaway Train' on them -sounds like it's John Pertwee doing the singing on my daughters!

Funny thing is she's taken to a tape of American Civil War songs -amusing finding her in the garden singing 'Banks of the Ohio' -bit sombre for a very lively little girl.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 18:23:18 »
I am so glad that they are still doing 'Runaway train'.  Very bestest bit is "and she blew blew blew blew blew"   ;D :-[ Dont care still love it.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 21:06:11 »
How about Frankie Howards "Three Little Fish's"? Doop doop didum dadum waddum Wheee :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 22:48:10 »
Oh yes Roy, my most fave song to sing to the kids when they are in the bath!

Or when I am carrying them....'Hold tight, hold tight, hold tight hold tight, Foo-ra-de-ack-a-sa-ki
wants some seafood....MUMMA!'

Speaking of holes in buckets....my first ever single....'I looked in the sky, where an elephants eye, was looking at me, from a bubblegum tree, and all that I knew was, the hole in my shoe, which was letting in water....letting in water...letting in water'  Love Traffic me!

Mind wanders.................................... ::)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 08:51:13 »
Water water every where 'n' not a drop to drink oh! tell me please. Oh what else can a poor fellow do  ???;D
All this from Liza's bucket ??? ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 09:03:56 »
Oh remember:

Raindrops keep falling on my head,

Lisa, what did you decide to do with the bucket?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 09:05:02 »
I missed that version of There's a hole in my shoe Emma - I'm of the era of Neil from the Young Ones singing it!

Oh yes Roy - Water water everywhere. Another one my dad always sang. eventually 'water water' got replaced by whatever was relevant to the situation!

And then there was (spelling phonetically) 'Lack-u-Karacha, Lack-u-Karacha', which he then added 'biddy-biddy-bum' to. strange family I had.
gone to pot :D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 11:40:20 »
And a little further back in time...Mare's eat oates and Doe's eat oates and lillel Lamb's eat ivy? Can anyone fill in the rest? (or dare?) :o

Peter H

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 19:30:55 »
Clean or dirty? Roy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal