Author Topic: Bench  (Read 2280 times)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Bench
« on: March 22, 2004, 11:52:13 »
I am looking to make/buy a simple bench to sit on for breaks in between working on the plot. I wonder if anyone has got some ideas of were to get one from or better still any plans/ideas to make one!! thanks

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Bench
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 11:55:04 »
I got one in Woolies on sale last year for about £15. They have them for about £20 now.
gone to pot :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 14:39:19 »
A simple wooden bench for the plot is a good idea. There were a couple of chairs on the plot I took over but chair legs on soil just don't work! I made a rough one instead out of scrap wood. Beats sitting on your back-side on soil. If you're really stuck I'll draw up some plans for the simple thing I did. (Honest, it's not A1 carpentry.)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 15:19:53 »
A couple of planks sitting on 2 logs would work! Mine on the plot is a small chair from Focus which was on sale for£7!! (was last year)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 09:57:01 »
Don't know about others but my plot is 13 K's away and it's prohibited to be on site after dark. The police do patrol now and then, but there have been instances of break-ins of sheds and people have lost valuables in the past. I try to make sure anything left there can be replaced so I tend to make-and-mend rather than spend.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 10:29:16 »
...or, if you are one of those engineer types who likes to do things properly (!) you could pop to the library and pick up a copy of Geoff Hamilton's Cottage Gardens - plans for all sorts of things in there from beehive composters to benches!
AC  :D
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 11:00:15 »
We have got a couple of sleepers resting on some good sized logs which are very inviting after a hard session on the lottie.

Don't forget to have a look at your local recycling depot, they often have items of garden furniture which you can have for a small donation....

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 11:25:47 »
thanks for all your replies. lots of good ideas in there. As I am out of work at the moment I reckon I have got the time to make something myself. Keeps the brain ticking over, I hope!!!  

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 14:00:50 »
Saw some at Morrisons and IKEA and remember them being reasonable but can't remember the prices, sorry!

Sparky

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 18:24:47 »
I am sure you could recycle a pallet or 2 to make a bench/seat of sorts.  There seem to be loads of pallets on skips around here at the moment..spring has sprung and peeps are having things done at home.

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 18:30:51 »
Funny you should say that Emma. I was thinking about pallets. They have got fairly chunky pieces of wood on the ends and the slats which go across. Thanks that has given me a bit of inspiration to go and investigate!!!!

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 10:59:50 »
Wilkinsons sell them for £15

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal