Author Topic: Ouch ouch & ouch again - wasps  (Read 1468 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Ouch ouch & ouch again - wasps
« on: June 26, 2006, 08:01:42 »
I have a large mound of earth at the far end of my allotment which is mainly a weeded over old manure heap + glass carpet & stone etc.

Attempting to dig it over yesterday I came across a bit of carpet and reaching in to remove ie it got a nettle sting (i thought). Now I get stung a lot by nettles so wasnt too bothered so stuck both hands in to yank out the carpet only to find it wasnt a nettle but a wasp nest. Anyway to cut a long story short I did a runner and got away with only 6 stings to my arms/hands.

I have some branches etc that need burning so was planning to light a large fire on top of the nest does anyone have a better idea to remove the %$%$$'s. They are in an area close to where my kids play so don't want to leave them bee (pun intended)

glow

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Ouch ouch & ouch again - wasps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:41:45 »
A can of wasp nest killer is the best thing. With stinging insects it's important to use the right insecticide since you don't want a load of dying wasps flying about stinging everyone they meet. Every year there are people killed in the States in bee stinging incidents caused by this.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 19:38:26 »
ouch indeed, nasty things wasps.  Apparently you can get a spray with a long nozzle, that allows you to stand back safely and spray the 'nest' - can't remember its name, but its supposed to be very effective.  Not sure I'd light a fire on top of them - they could swarm ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 21:16:34 »
Effective it is, I've got them from feet away. You spray the stuff into the entrance and leave it. Wasps don't swarm, but a fire might drive them out in a wrathful condition.

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 17:22:38 »
One of my plot neighbours found a asps nest just inside his coldframe. He took a blowtorch to it. The next day those that had been out had started rebuilding it so he did the same again. You've guessed it the next day it had been started yet again, so the blowtorch came out again and it was a case of 3rd time lucky.
I'm for burning them myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal