Author Topic: new pond and flies  (Read 1695 times)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
new pond and flies
« on: June 22, 2006, 17:02:43 »
I had a sunken dustbin on my plot which had very murky water in it so I have mostly emptied it and filled it up again with clean water. I have built up the sides with bricks and topped it with flat stones so that frogs can get out. I put in four plants to oxygenate the water and I'm quite pleased with it.

My next door neighbour at home has a pond with a frog and tadpoles in it so after about two weeks I took some tadpoles to put in my 'pond'. As I was putting them in a frog popped up, so it must have moved in all by itself. I was so excited and surprised as I thought I would have to wait for the tadpoles to grow before I got some frogs.

The only problem I have is that there are loads of flies which are buzzing around the surface of the water and especially on the water hyacinth which I have put in. They look smaller than houseflies and bigger than midges, but I don't know much about insects and would like to know how to make them go away.

Is this inevitable in static water or are they attracted to the water hyacinth? I don't remember them being there before I changed the water and put the plants in.

Hope you can give me some advice as it's next to where I sit down with my cup of coffee and it's bugging me ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal