Author Topic: Webby making advice  (Read 4784 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Webby making advice
« on: March 19, 2004, 20:23:31 »
I've had a few goes at creating a web site but the results haven't been too great. The one I currently have I'm happy with but I only assisted in it's making. It would be nice to have the know-how to be able to make such a site myself.  (www.bowtechbelgium.com ).
Can anyone point me to some info that doesn't means lots of time spent playing with code/HTML? Ta!

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:Webby making advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 21:41:37 »
Hi Kenkew - I'll tiptoe very quietly in here, with all my prejudices, and knowing only some of the mistakes I've made! ???

For a website as widely accessible as possible, it is well worth getting to know HTML - with a couple of books from the cheap remainder bookshops.  

A really useful programme for writing HTML - 1st Page 2000, downloadable from http://www.evrsoft.com/ - and it's free.  HTML isn't a lot more complicated than ordinary word-processing - it's just that you have to type in commands as tags.

The problem with "shortcuts" is that they can produce a fine site - but with grotesque coding and huge file loads;  so people like me with an elderly computer and a dial-up connection will either wait for several minutes --------- or (more usually) go find another site!  "Goodies" like Flash shut out a lot of users.  

Hey, but I have to say that your site is a rare exception - Flash that works pretty well and reasonably quickly on my computer?  That is rare!

BUT - I am a bit of a Luddite!   See what other people think too.

Good luck - Gavin

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 10:58:07 »
Used Front Page in the Old days...........found that this helped to learn a little HTML, as both a preview and an HTML view of each page was available.....

....Namo do quite a nice web page editor/creator....., and I understand the latest version is recommended ....

...Personally, I tend to use Dreamweaver....but then that is because I am lazy and haven't learnt all the HTML codes.....

......try a few.....start with the free ones.....see which one fits your needs and skill level.....

Good luck.....

....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 14:47:09 »
I'm playing with the freeware FTP Commander but it's asking me for an FTP server name. I've tried what I think it wants but I'm not getting access.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 18:46:45 »
Hi kenkew - I'm guessing that you're trying to upload a web site onto the web?  You should be able to get the correct address from your ISP or web-host.

Can be a bit fiddly!

Good luck - Gavin

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 19:12:06 »
Thanks Gavin, I'm actually trying to download files from my site to edit them and then to back load them. Should be dead easy but this time round I seem to keep hitting walls. There must be a way...Gawd, I'm sounding like Oz...I feel a song coming on...LoL...I'll keep at it but if anything comes to mind...?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 21:05:16 »
Try "View code", save it to hard disk with the right name, edit and FTP it back again?

Or use a sitecopier programme to download the whole site, and keep a copy on your computer (I keep two copies - one a straight copy of what I've uploaded, and the other I play with/manipulate/edit/make mistakes with/make many more mistakes with!).  I use a free version of Webcopier for Windows (now no longer available except as a 30-day trial and PAY - from www.maximumsoft.com).

Ah the fiddly little tricks that drive us all up the wall ;D

All best - Gavin

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 09:48:16 »
Thanks Gavin. My car goes into hospital tomorrow which means I might be plotless this weekend, (13K's away) and if it's raining I'll have time on my hands at the weekend to try not to loose all my site...again!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 16:13:35 »
Would someone please check the URL below and let me know if the site is active. (You may have to 'copy/paste) According to me it is, but an 'outside' 'puter sees things in a different dimension! (Don't tell Oz I'm talking 'dimensions' or he'll be here with a song!)

http://kenkew.mysite.freeserve.com/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 16:18:15 by kenkew »

jethro

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 16:35:51 »
Hi kenkew, the site is active and looking good up to now, all the pictures are there  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 16:44:40 »
Thanks, Jethro. At least I'm not wasting my time! I'll add bits as time goes by, including a link to this site which is the bees knees of garden/allotment sites. (Dan's having a problem getting his flat-cap to fit now!)

jethro

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 16:49:14 »
No problem kenkew, i'm glad i can help someone at least with something cause i'm not so hot at gardening  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 17:16:05 »
Cheers, Jethro. You will be a seasoned gardener, just stick around, this really is one of the best sites you'll find. Lots of advice and no-one laughs at what may seem 'stupid' questions. No-one gets too big-headed here either, there's always someone who to put them in their place! That's what friends are for, is it not. On another site a lady asked what she should do with some very old horse manure....now that's a daft question, especially seeing as how she was going to throw it away! We all know she should have smoked it!

jethro

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 16:10:57 »
OOOpppss kenkew sorry, you don't know my sense of humor yet then? i've been gardening for erm too many years at least 30 so i'm not so green as cabbage looking, but in time you'll realise that ignoring me is the best, or taking me with a pinch of salt  ;D.

Smoking the manure? never tried that (yet) but have tried all sorts of other substances  ;D.

Once again kenkew sorry for the mistrake :-\

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 19:35:50 »
Ah! I see you now Jethro...you're a sod pot. Cool as a pile of hot dung. Bet you even eat yellow snow. You run through the nettles naked just for the buzz? (Silent chuckle here at the thought.) This site is getting more like sitting round a table in the domino's room! Anyone for a game of 5's an' 3's?

jethro

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 12:01:58 »
Ha Ha kenkew  ;D  you know me now bonny lad, as for the yellow snow hmmmmmmm not really into that. Running naked thro the nettle patch? definetly, now your talking as long as i've got some camomile lotion handy  ;D ;) .

5's and 3's i haven't played that for ages but why not try it over this site it could be interesting.

Peter

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 13:35:27 »
Now that really is one way to be driven crazy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal