Author Topic: Tree Onions,Walking Onions, Egyptian Onions  (Read 3997 times)

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
Tree Onions,Walking Onions, Egyptian Onions
« on: June 19, 2006, 14:37:24 »
Yes I know, all 3 names are for the same beastie :) but has anyone grown them and with any success? I just read an article about them and thought they might be fun for next season and an alternative to shallots. Thanks...Dinger

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Re: Tree Onions,Walking Onions, Egyptian Onions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 20:00:42 »
Bought a plant this year, so I am only trying it fr the first time too...  ::)

mat

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 20:24:30 »
Not quite the same (I think), but this year I got some Rocambole from Chiltern Seeds... which they categorise as covering the following... 'Rocambole, Serpent Garlic, Sand Leek'.

They're in the ground now, but I was late in ordering them, and they currently look like a couple of fat blades of grass. Anyone tried these? Also got some Welsh Onions in, which I like the sound of.

Where can you get the Walking/Tree/Egyptian onions from?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 21:38:27 »
I have the walking onions strange things they are but very usefull, use the leaves like chives havent tried a root, just trying to build the plant up.
Father in law had some and the bulbs would dry off on the plant, mine just start growing as the bulb is forming most strange.
I put mine just outside the kitchen door and its looks quite tropical wrong place but have some down lottie must put some more down there.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 22:31:59 »
I got my "egyptians" from Edulis

mat

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 23:53:28 »
I've loads 8) Got them at a seed-swap evening at my gardening club one year. If anyone would like some, I'll gladly send some little bulbs on when they're ready - think they're starting to form about now.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 05:47:39 »
Like Shallots, dinger? But can you store them??

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 12:44:35 »
I've loads 8) Got them at a seed-swap evening at my gardening club one year. If anyone would like some, I'll gladly send some little bulbs on when they're ready - think they're starting to form about now.
Yes please..They look strange but lovely. I was watching a very old tv program about a mad but lovely lady living a self sufficient life-style and she was raving about them. Weird that the bulbs form where the flowers should be.. :)  Thanks Dinger

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 13:20:15 »
I was watching a very old tv program about a mad but lovely lady living a self sufficient life-style and she was raving about them.   Thanks Dinger

Finally me cover's been blown ;D

PM me your addy & I'll get some to you in due course..

Anyone else?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 16:23:53 »
I'd be grateful; I'm always glad to try another sort of onion!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 16:36:57 »
Some info for you on them,

Egyptian Onions

It's also known as tree onion, top onion, winter onion, or walking onions.  This onion is not only edible, it's also ornamental!. At the top of the plant little "bulbs" form that can be used fresh, or they can be stored, much like garlic. Kids will love it for the quirky growth of the bulbs, and it's easy for them to help harvest and plant.
Egyptian onions are hardy l. They are called "walking" onions because of the unique way the bulbs clusters bend down from the weight of the bulbs as they grow, eventually touching the ground, and taking root. You can divide these clusters and plant as you would other onion sets in the autumn. They do have a rather strong taste, so you won't need many! You can also use the green stalks, which are edible, much like green onions or chives. If you allow the new bulbs to fall over and root, these will sprout for you to use. They are best before the bulbs start to form on the new stalk because they do become tough at that point. There will be enough to use for the stalks, the bulbs and some for planting.
In the early spring you'll be able to dig some of the onions up to use as bunching or green onions.  .
Plant in soil that is well dug and amended with organic matter such as peat and compost. As mentioned, they are very hardy so should do well even in very cold climates.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 16:51:42 »
They sound good; we like food which 'has taste' in this family!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 16:56:16 »
I am an onion addict too, so will be looking to acquire some of these ... Hopefully someone on our allotments will have some bulbs.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 17:31:40 »
If anyone is interested in Babbington Leeks, please PM me, I have a about 100 plantlets, I do find they are a bit prone to rust if they are too warm, prefer cool and damp...

8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal