Author Topic: When is a gooseberry ripe  (Read 3445 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
When is a gooseberry ripe
« on: June 20, 2006, 08:14:39 »
My gooseberry bushes are going great guns this year again with only a few mouldy berries (manured them in the winter). Last year I think I got lucky when I picked them as they tasted fine however I'm not 100% sure when I should pick them.

As I inherited them I'm not even sure if they are red or green goosberries though I imagine they are green ...... however ..... I picked some that are growing wild last year as well that tasted fine only to be told that these normally turn red (by the person that normally picks them ... oops)

Any tips, I have 3 small mature bushes all the same variety (I think) heavy with fruit about 1 1/2 carrier bags on each

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: When is a gooseberry ripe
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:23:20 »
if they are red ones, they should by now have a blush of red on their skin - if so wait until fully dark red, squeeze them now and then to see how soft they are/ripe they are

if they are a green variety, wait until the skin becomes slightly transluscent and they turn a very pale yellowish green
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:25:08 »
Yep, agree with Svea, the green ones will go soft and yellow, the red ones will be red and soft.  Mine are still ages off yet, but mine are in the shade of the apple trees so I normally expect to pick in late August.  I think your own taste has a lot to do with it also.  Old Jack on our site has been picking his for a couple of weeks now but they are hard and sour!  Okay for cooking I guess.  Try one, that is probably the best, and only pick the biggest leaving the smaller ones for another couple of weeks.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:30:12 »
Hi thanks all
Wouldnt do anything other than cook with gooseberries, but will wait and see what develops. Am I right in thinking that gooseberries ar one of the first of the berries to be harvested (after strawbs)

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:40:02 »
Normally I would say my Gooseberries come after the Strawberries but do not know if it is the weather but after checking found my Red Currants ripening now.  Last year they were well into July before I picked them.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 11:04:54 »
I must have very strange tastebuds as I just love gooseberries raw, especially before they get to the soft stage!   :o  First year growing myself but always had them as a child (and adult!) from my dad.  Too many raw is NOT good though!!   ;)
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 11:18:26 »
Amanda I am glad you posted because I am the same as you and thought I must be the odd one out! :) ;D  Mine won't be long before I am eating them, many never get as far as the kitchen!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 11:57:50 »
Snap, I'm another that eats them raw & sour. School cooked gooseberries (shudder) almost put me off for life.

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 13:00:29 »
Thinned my berries out at the weekend and picked about 5lb from two bushes.  Crumbles all round for tea.  There are 4 good sized bushes that I inherited although one seemed to have suffered some sort of die back a few weeks back and given up the ghost even though it was starting to set fruit.  New growth appearing on it now which has left me somewhat confused.  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 14:01:49 »
I always leave at least some on my bushes until the last possible moment - there is nothing to be a good, sweet (yes, sweet!) ripe gooseberry straight from the bush. I grow Invicta and they aren't really sold as a dessert gooseberry, but they do stay on well, and it's when they reach that "golden" stage that I really like to eat them raw.

luckystar

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 08:01:22 »
Hi, I also inherited gooseberries on my plot. :)

I'm from the Far East and I'm not familiar with this fruit--only ever tried it once, store bought mixed in with frozen yoghurt.

How would you cook it? Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal