Author Topic: Seed sowing in Drills  (Read 1871 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Seed sowing in Drills
« on: June 25, 2006, 15:01:12 »
I guess many of you experienced lotties will know this already, but i have to share a good tip that i have started using, concerning drillsown seed and germination.

I have often struggled in the past to get seeds to germinate sown direct in shalow drills, and after yet more failure earlier this year i decided to try pre watering the drills before sowing the seed. i have to say this has been highly sucessfull and produced a better germination rate than simply making the drill sowing and then watering.

One thing to bear in mind is that you need to let the drill drain before sowing - the soil must be damp not soggy. The way i get around this is to make the drill, water it, then do the next drill before coming back to the first one to sow into it and so on.

I have even taken this technique and tried prewatering before broadcast sowing - ie when the seed is scattered it is onto damp and not dry soil.

I hope someone finds this tip usefull

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Seed sowing in Drills
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 16:06:39 »
Yes I have always used this method as I thought this was the norm, as I was told always to puddle the hole you place your seedlings into, plus always water your compost before use, I tend to place the garden hose into the bag and let it run for a while then give it a good stir. ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Seed sowing in Drills
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 17:24:39 »
Yes I always (when i can remember ;)) soak potted plants in a bucket of water for a bit before planting too. I sometimes even water planting holes before putting in the plant if the soil is very dry, using the pot (empty) as a mould to keep the hole intact.

It all helps doesnt it?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal