Author Topic: Toad sets up home... in the greenhouse  (Read 1765 times)

Gadfium

• Acre
Toad sets up home... in the greenhouse
« on: June 18, 2006, 10:42:46 »
Three weeks ago I found a toad in the greenhouse.

To water the plants, I have a large black plastic tray on the ground, which I fill and put the thirsty plants into when they need a drink...

One day, not so long ago, I bent down to shove some parched bedding plants into their shallow watering trough, and there he (or she) was.  Looked a bit put out at his narrow escape - death by cornflowers is not a pretty way to go.

On investigation, he'd hollowed out a nook UNDER the watering tray, and then popped in and out of the water for a soak-down. Me, a little concerned for his future prospects - heatstoke and cats being top of the list - lifted him out, went for a wander, and deposited him in more suitably soggy surrounds.

Rearranged the greenhouse last week - getting the tomatoes, peppers and aubergines into position, and the bedding plants into the ground - and there he was again!

Same place, having re-hollowed out another nook under the watering tray. He spent a happy two hours swanning about the mini-swimming pool, despite constant pot watering and vast tidal ups-and-downs. I gave him a rock so he could monitor proceedings from above 'high tide' level, with which he seemed quite content.

So there we go. One greenhouse. One toad. Now with specially arranged green mini-pool (the black tray was too large and had to be moved), over one Toad Hall hidey-hole. 

He's already been sighted having a dip in the new pool...

:)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Toad sets up home... in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 13:51:54 »
Ah bless! Had a wonderful and unexpected phone call yesterday from a friend who relocated to Thailand some 4 years ago. She had a resident toad called Big Willy.....to listen to her calling him at night was sheer delight ::)  Update on BW - he's still doing his thang in her garden and comes to her when she calls him....wonder if she'll christen the resident frog I've got under the decking square on the lawn (base for a table) when she comes to visit soon? Mr. Frog's always there...when I lift the square twice a week to cut the grass he hops off to the 'pool' (sunken washing-up bowl hidden by creeping stuff), then hops back....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 17:49:43 »
We have one every  year - God knows how it gets in - 12" step etc.

Worries me, with all the fertiliser & slug bait that's in there, but he doesn't seem to mind.

Doesn't care for the up-ended  growbags though!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 18:05:16 by tim »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 19:42:43 »
I absolutely loved reading about your toad Gadfium!

Not a frog or toad in sight this year. I hope the froggies born last year come back one day but I know there is a much nicer pond a couple of doors away  :(  :D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 21:57:56 »
The little toad that lived in my greenhouse really loved worms.   He sucked them up like spaghetti.  If I gave him a particularly big one, the whole of his little body squirmed as he swallowed it!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 20:16:11 »
Glad to hear this isn't that uncommon... so, hopefully, he's going to spend a happy summer depleting the insect population.

Thanks all!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal