Author Topic: Stupid person on the loose!!!  (Read 4411 times)

John Sabin

• Not So New ...
  • I am me and I am sorry if you do not like it !!!
Stupid person on the loose!!!
« on: March 18, 2004, 19:55:22 »
 ??? ??? ???

Hey everyone! I need help.
I have just today taken on an allotment and need help starting on it.
There is a lot of work to be done and it is in need of some TLC. It all needs to be dug over so that will take a while.

Can anyone help with things like, what to plant, layout of plots, when are you supposed to plant things, best growing tips?

This is a completely different aspect of life for me but I am very keen in making this a success.

Any help or pointers from anyone will be appreciated

Many thanks in advance

John

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:Stupid person on the loose!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 20:07:04 »
John the best suggestion I can possibly give you is:-
1.  Get a comfy chair in front of your computer.
2.  Have a flask of tea/coffee
3.  Scan through every post, in every section on this site.

WARNING THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME ;D :o ;D
You will learn everything you need to know here.  When you have done that, then come back with anything not covered, that you  need to know.
There are people on here who will know what ever you need to know and are always happy to help and advise.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 22:25:22 »
I agree Mimi, plus, check out Gavins website and the Garndeners site.....have no idea of the addresses, but you will see the link on any of their postings.  

As for work, slow and steady wins the race.  Dig a little, clear some ground, plan a bed, and plant it.  It is so satisfying to get something in, whether fruit, herbs or veg.  Buy a large bottle of radox......and a large bottle of scotch  ;D and get ready for those aches and pains, but, in my humble opinion, there is nothing better than getting down on the plot!

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 22:48:22 »
Hi John - welcome!

There's a lot of websites listed in the News/Internet Links thread - worth a browse?

Three sites from members of A4A though -

Plantsman's - http://mysite.freeserve.com/prop1/index.html;

The Gardener's - http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/;

and my own - http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/default.html.

Happy browsing, gardening - oh, and get started!

All best, Gavin

PS Ask around the other plot-holders too.  They have in interest in you succeeding (none of us like an abandoned weed-infested plot next to ours!),  which may mean they offer far more contradictory advice than anyone would wish to handle!  Listen - and only choose the bits you want! :) :) :) :)

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 23:44:27 »
Welcome John.  You'll have fun here.  And you can't be that stupid on loose, you come from Nuneaton!  Lived there for many years and still have some faimly there!   :D
Muddy Boots

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 17:18:00 »
... and you found this great site - what more proof of intelligence could you need!
AC   8)
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 17:54:10 »
welcome to allotments 4 all!

its so exciting getting your plot isn't it? loads of us are new to this so we'l all be stupid together then! as has been said there should be a thread to cover almost anything you need to know about at the moment.

John Sabin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 22:02:03 »
Thanks to you all for being so friendly.

I didn't expect such a welcoming response.

Mimi - Thanks for the advice and I will do just that. I have a few days off at the beginning of next month so I will go through this site with a fine tooth comb then. Up till then I will just dig out weeds and turn the plot over when I get the time this next few weeks.

Muddy boots - Great to hear you lived in Nuneaton. What part??

Many thanks to you all

John :) ;D

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 07:53:48 »
Hello John, congrats on getting your plot - my only advise would be to dig a bit, and plant/sow it up, dig a bit... etc.  At least that way you get some results to keep you from spending a whole season digging with nothing to show for it.  My sister has just got a lottie that if couch grass was a crop, she'd be selling it by the bale!  Her's is in Boot Hill, Grendon, just down/up/around from you.  It's all a bit small world in here - there are quite a few of us who have realised we have plots within walking distance of each other!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 08:11:54 »
apparently couch roots are good stir-fried ceri...... ;D

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 08:33:32 »
he he, I'll pass that on to my sister - at least she's been able to grow something edible this season then!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 16:56:23 »
so John what do you fancy growing then?

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 17:23:53 »
Gosh it is a small world Ceri. Ma in law used to live just up the Watling Street from Boot Hill and sister in law was in Bolters Lane.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

John Sabin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 18:42:00 »
Thanks Ceri for the advice. I never thought of that!! See I am stupid!!!

Legless - I honestly do not know what I want to post hence the plea for help. I am completely new to this and a whole new world awaits me!! Any ideas what I can grow? Is it too late to start planting now?

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 18:49:12 »
i hope not, i've got  a boxfull of seeds here that aren't going in for a bit!

what do you like to eat? i am trying a bit of everything this year to see what works and what doesn't. lots of salad leaves because we eat lots of salad, tomatoes because they are so versatile and if you get loads they can be frozen as sauces/ chooped tomatoes/ made into chutney (optimistic as ever)

i wasn't going to grow cabbages because we don't really eat them but i got given some plants when i first got my plot in august and they've kept me going all winter watching them grow when mostly what i had was weeds!!

i posted in the basics something like "what can't wait til the last wek in april to sow" the replies to that might help you get an idea of what you should/ could sow now....

most of all have fun!

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2004, 18:56:15 »
Hi John, no need to plant anything straight away - I must admit, I'm getting very impatient, but am waiting until the weather gets a little warmer and a little less windy!

As Gavin said futher up this thread, you'll get lots of advice from plot holders, books, and the net, but do whatever you want to do, experiment and have fun!

catch ya later :)

jams

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2004, 20:00:29 »
Couldn't agree more, Jamlad; Went to the plot today with a plan. I think God (the real one) decided to have a laugh! I put nowt in, far too wet, I have some ground under plastic but I'm still going to wait awhile, walking on mud ruins the soil structure. Mind you, on the way there I found a place which stocked red currents. I've been looking for reds all winter. Bought 2 roots. Got to plot, opened them to soak in a bucket and found 2 roots in one bag and 3 in the other. Had to get them in now but that was all the planting I did. (Also got a 2 year old apple for €5. (3 quid). Going back on Monday for €5 cherry and pear.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 20:01:34 by kenkew »

pinky

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2004, 22:03:12 »
hi John

Just to let you know we have only just got our plot and I asked a few stoopid questions but the response i have had from everyone here has been great and really helpful.The only advice i can give you is just get your wellies on and start digging!!We have been up there all weekend thru the wind and rain and its been great fun, and already we can see fruits if our labour (well not literally the fruits! If only!!)
Have FUN!!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 10:03:41 »
John,

There is lots of advice around - try the HDRA's http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_allt.htm Starting an Organic Allotment brochure (the principles apply even if you're not going to follow organic techiques).

I would add, think about what you like to grow, don't waste time on other things and start small, only cultivate the amount of you allotment that you can do well, the rest put done to one of the long term green manures - they will keep the ground in good condition (or even improve it) until you get round to using it - Phacelia is quick and pretty and attracts beneficial insects red (not crimson) clover is slower but a long term crop (and provides material for the compost heap)

See http://www.erutan.clara.co.uk/grnman.htm for advice and http://www.plant-seed-mailorder.org.uk/green_manure.html on where to buy the seeds I think Kings are probably the best value

Have a look at what is doing well on others plots and don't be afraid to ask advice from them - 99% of them are only too willing to give you the benefit of their experience (you might have to allow some time for this activity!! ;))

And good luck

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 13:00:47 »
and make sure those you ask are the ones with kettles and gas burners and you might well get a cup of tea as well!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal