Author Topic: Rhubarb Chutney  (Read 16282 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Rhubarb Chutney
« on: June 13, 2006, 14:13:26 »
Still have more bubby than you know what to do with?  Like Mango Chutney?  Then you will probably like this.  It comes from a recipe which is at least 30 years old, given to me by an elderly neighbour, who was given it many years ago by an elderly friend.  This is half the original recipe as I prefer lots of variety rather than gallons of one type.

2Ib Rhubarb
1/2 Ib sultanas (I didn't use these as I don't like them in chuts)
1oz curry powder (I added just a touch more for some va va voom)
1 cup malt vinegar (I didn't have enough malt so it was 50/50 malt balsamic)
2 large onions
2Ib sugar
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon salt (I halved that as I am trying to keep our salt intake low)

Chop the rhubarb into small chunks and chop the onion.  Place all of the ingredients into a large preserving pan and cook slowely until everything is tender and pulpy which will take between 40 and 80 minutes.  Bottle in sterile bottles and label when cold.

Because I missed out the sultanas I added an extra onion and a couple of extra stalks of rhubarb.  It needs to mature to loose that raw curry powder taste, but what I tried was delicious and would be super with poppadoms, naans, or I reakon with a ploughmans!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Rhubarb Chutney
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 14:19:42 »
Still have more bubby than you know what to do with?  Like Mango Chutney?

The answer is yes to both, I have an idea that this will go down rather well, particularly since we consume vast quantities of curry-like foods ...

The only alteration I will make is to adjust the sugar to half-spoon or similar, for my diabetic daughter (she adores mango chutney).

Thank you ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 14:28:34 »
Sounds delicious.  I LOVE mango chut and have ALOT of rhubarb on the lottie and have no idea what to do with it... all i need now are some jars, we have just recycled aload this morning :P  Will i get moaned at on freecycle if i ask for any ???

P.
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 14:34:10 »
I can't see why you would get moaned at pakaba.  I know people who save massses of jars but never use them all.

Just wanted to add, please don't shout or moan if the finished chutters isn't like your impression of mango chuts.  I have been told off before when posting recipes.  In my opinion, mine is like mango chuts, similar colour, sweet and sour like flavour, curry zip.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 14:50:15 »
I have been told off before when posting recipes.

You leave me virtually speechless Emma ... I cannot imagine why people should be critical of those who take the time and effort to put posts up. I suppose it takes all sorts, and some people seem intent on putting others down.

Rest assured, I am very grateful for your contributions (and those of others too), and long may it continue  :D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 15:18:03 »
Thanks Emma-Jane - We have masses of rhubarb this year and have to drive a long way to find mango chutney so this will be very good for us to try.

I'm making your rhubarb cake for a bunch of Belgians on Thursday evening.  It should make them swoon.
Obxx - Vendée France

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 16:15:43 »
Aha, might try this one EJ, it sounds good.

Your rhubarb cake is very like one I posted a while ago & we love very much.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 22:50:23 »
HI Beejay - I've already found and noted your sour cream rhubarb recipe but can't find your cake one.  How long ago did you post it?
Obxx - Vendée France

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 08:15:20 »
That was the one Obbelix - different name but very similar ingredients & recipe to EJ's.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 08:52:39 »
That's OK then.   I shall try yours out on a different set of Belgians.
Obxx - Vendée France

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 14:42:53 »
That sounds GORGEOUS EJ! X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 19:24:51 »
It is still cooking in the pan, but it is already delicious !

I didn't have sultanas, so used mixed fruit instead, the result is still impressive.

Addendum - now all in jars, not before my daughter had a blind tasting - is that mango chutney she said ?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 20:37:45 by Curry »

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 22:22:12 »
I made half that quantity yesterday E.J.(cos I only had a pound of rhubarb) but substituted the Tate & Lyle 'half spoon' for normal sugar (as suggested by Curry) and agree it tastes just lovely.....only slight grouse is that it seems a bit runny - would that be because of the different sugar....I gently cooked it for about an hour and thought it seemed ready!....

goodness me!....have just realised - I forgot to half the amount of vinegar - I added a mugful - should have been half that....no wonder!! :-[

stupid me!

can't be bothered to boil it anymore - tastes great so will be lovely spread in my sarnies with ham or cheese :P

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 23:36:16 »
Just to give you confidence Hot Potato. I added the correct amount of vinegar, and it set just lovely !
The last couple of spoonfuls ended up in a shallow dish, just asking to be spread on some surplus tortillas for my lunch - perfect !

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 12:06:00 »
Oh Curry - thanks.....will definitely make again once I get to allotment and pick more....and next time....I'll put the correct amount of vinegar in :D....I had an odd half a jar over, which at this moment is sitting in the fridge (firming up) but will get used up I don't doubt as soon as an opportunity arises....in fact, have a cold chicken salad for lunch today so maybe a good time to sample it again :P

H.P.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 12:21:53 »
Oh HP!   :D  I guess in the end it would have cooked down okay.  I think with chutters firmness is in the eye of the beholder.  Some like it softer, more spreadable for things like sarnies, others like it firm and stiff, more for having a dollop with cold meats or a ploughmans.  I am planning a ploughmans for my lunch in a mo :P and will be having a generous dollop!  ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 14:08:27 »
Hi Emma - just enjoyed a lovely cold chicken salad (with new potatoes) and had a good dollop of the chutney....absolutely gorgeous - in fact, the consistency seemed just right, also as this was the 'left-over' bit that only half filled a jar - probably a bit more liquid than in the full jars that I've put away 'to mature'.....defo think it tastes like mango - which I love....thanks for posting that recipe...had already made an earlier batch to a different recipe but much prefer this one!  ;)

can't wait to make more :P

H.P.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 14:16:53 »
Many thanks Em....my rhubarb, after a bounty crop earlier on, is just coming to its end now. I'm gonna give this a go (and probably, if I can get off this PC, quite soon, too) ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 18:52:38 »
DONE! Skipped the raisins, added extra onion and I chopped up some chilli too. Had a lovely apple and chilli chutney in the USA last year & thought this would take it too. It did ;D

Many thanks EJ. Think that's my rhubarb crop sorted for the year now.

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 22:21:58 »
Got some simmering in a big pan at present,salivating onto keyboard whilst posting this!!Smells gorgeous.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal