Author Topic: What is happening to my conference pears?  (Read 2086 times)

lin

• Half Acre
What is happening to my conference pears?
« on: June 15, 2006, 22:36:07 »
My plot is in Manchester and I have always had excellent conference pears and until a week ago they were looking good.

Went over today and they all seem to be splitting... they are still only little about an inch and a half... and not looking good at all... gone a strange browny colour too.

Anyone got any ideas please? I followed another thread that suggested an internal parasite and cut one open but it is fine inside.

Is there anything I could use at this stage to save them please? Linda
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 22:41:03 by lin »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What is happening to my conference pears?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 18:16:43 »
At this stage it is usually pear midge, makes them go a dark colour then drop, but the bad ones would have little maggots in them. The splitting couldbe that dry bit followed by downpours... have you had a June drop yet? If not it will chuck these and hold on to the good ones...
 ???

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:17:10 »
Thanks for those answers and Jenny, I did look at the other pear link and when I cut them open they were healthy looking inside with no bugs. Oh and out of interest, when I click on "insert image" I am still not being able to put a picture on even though I have paid the donation an d notified "Dan". Wonder how long it will be before I can?

I would then be able to show you what the problem looked like... will keep trying and will keep my eyes on the pears! Linda

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 12:26:17 »
Might be scab then - this can cause the splits and then the fruit can get attacked by other things too. Its a fungus, so you could use a fungicide like Dithane, and also clear up all the leaves and debris in the autumn.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 23:01:23 »
Well, my friend on the plot Arthur, went over the plot this afternoon and Arthur, my mate, was watering my tree... and he said it looked more like lack of water, so we shall see... will keep a close eye on the fruit, but I have another pear tree of a different type (Williams I think) and that is doing well, so not sure about the water being the problem! Linda

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 23:04:22 »
Attach a pic of problem pears...my first attempt at attaching a pic, thought I would just try it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal