Author Topic: Cats  (Read 3724 times)

(a)ndy

• Not So New ...
Cats
« on: June 12, 2006, 21:02:41 »
I am getting regular cat poo buried in my veg patch.

I have tried one of the sonic cat scaring devices but it has no effect at all. The cat comes back every night to add one more!! >:(

Does anyone have any other advice? Are there any safe and effective repellants that I can use on my veg patch, and where can you obtain them?

Or, is there a home made remedy that works?

(I am sorry if this one has been answered before but the search facility is offline at present).

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 21:07:40 »
Go to your local Safari Park and buy some Lion Dung spread it about and it will even keep the dogs away. ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 16:33:32 »
I find prunings from prickly bushes such as pyrocantha an effective way of keeping cats off my border.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 15:38:11 »
Go to your local Safari Park and buy some Lion Dung spread it about and it will even keep the dogs away. ;D

... and all your friends too I shouldn't wonder  ;D ;D ;D

... holly leaves do the trick too  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 16:50:13 »
Sprinkle black or white pepper down they don't like that. I didn it with foxes too and it worked.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 23:40:10 »
Lots of people won't like this reply but it works for me. I put down scraps of food for them, and they don't mess where they eat, so the area keeps clear.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 23:55:48 »
:o Trouble is it encourages vermin, generally Rats beat the Cats and the Birds and before long they move in, set up a family and take permanant residents :o

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 20:11:00 »
dunno how big your veg patch is, andy, but I grow at home in my garden & loads of cats around.....so....I think cats like open spaces & easy digging & stop messing where/when the earth is covered. When I sow veggies I cover the soil with criss-crossed twigs & only remove them when the crop is well up and growing. If you can put some holly prunings in there OK, but I've not bothered. It works for me. I found the Pound shop really good for lengths of plastic-coated wire edging. I sow in rows & thread twigs through the hoops at the top.

It all creates a barrier where cats can't easily squat...and they're lazy bu**ers.

Good luck!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 20:37:50 »
If you can catch tham thar cats at it, a well aimed squirt with a water pistol or hose will probably do the trick. I don't think they will be back in a hurry. ;)

I am amazed!! I'ts a good job I checked this reply. I typed the word for cats that starts with p and ends in ussies and it came up as 'girl thingies'

Best laugh I've had today  ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 20:42:34 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 21:24:54 »
I always try to cover as much ground as possible with twigs or big stones(in between plants) I also place a few twigs upright they don't seem to like getting jabbed up the bum and go elsewhere.
As for detterants you can buy...I haven't found any of them any good >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal