Author Topic: Wormery  (Read 12788 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:Wormery
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2004, 23:00:33 »
Right. Now while I'm willing to pay for shipment of decent compost worms from the UK, I'm a bit reluctant to pay through the nose for the shipment of 'bedding stuff'. Would 'growbag' compo do as a starter? And what's with this 'special' compacted block recommended as an initial setting up bedding?

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2004, 09:08:11 »
I used a thick layer of newspaper, topped with old potting compost mixed with a bit of leaf mould - as advised on one website or another!  Soaked it thoroughly, left excess water to drip out and started from there.

Got latin name for the posh expensive compost worms - went to local fishing bait shop, played not-very-bright-approaching-middle-age-lady who doesn't really know what she wants.  Yet again got away with murder - or at least cheap worms!

However, bedding does seem a bit dry at the moment - is it OK to add tap water?  I presume that as they get more active more moisture is added from waste food that is put in, or will I regularly have to top up?

Ta

Ceri
(not Ken's sister though)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2004, 12:59:53 »
Ceri, you shouldn't need to top up -although ours get some rain probably- there's generally lots of moisture in the stuff you chuck in -especially tea & coffee grounds &c. I'd of thought tap would be ok, otherwise some saved rain water -you shouldn't need much.

Ken -I suspect old growbag compost would work and Ceri's newspaper seems to be as well, they'll eat it in the end. I can't remember what ours came with -it was the wife's 40th present from my family. We were watching 'Tremors' -when she mentioned it first :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100814/

a must for any wormery fan!

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 13:01:27 by derbex »

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2004, 11:14:48 »
Well, the worms are still alive, and when I take the carpet lid off I see a bit of squirming away from the light going on.  However, they don't seem to be getting through much waste - some has actually gone mouldy, and I'm only topping it up when it seems to need it.  One problem though, when I take the lid of there does seem to be a few little flies flitting about - only tiny ones, but not pleasant.  Any advice please?

Ceri

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2004, 12:50:01 »
Ceri -we ignore the flies, although they are a pain they die off in the winter. I have seen it suggested that you vacume them up.

Jeremy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2004, 16:51:39 »
Finally got all I need to make a start. Getting the mesh was difficult until I found a place that would sell me the stuff off the roll. I'll let you all know how I get on. Maybe a pic or two as I go.

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2004, 06:50:11 »
Just a thought Ken - I used a rigid mesh panel, and left about an inch and a half of box bottom edges for it to rest on.  Its now bowing quite alarmingly with the weight of the compost etc. I think when the worms are ready to have another box popped on to wriggle up into, I might either cut wormholes (space for an astrology joke here if I knew one) in the box itself in a pattern that leaves diagonal bits of the bottom of the box in place for rigidity (I've probably explained that in a really complicated way but it is early in the morning!)  The other idea I had was to use an old wire cake cooling rack.
Ceri

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2004, 16:38:08 »
Cheers, Ceri (that's my sister's name) I had in mind to make the base cut-out into 2 or even 3 sections to support the mesh. I might even run some cross pieces of my old wire coat hangers across the width. Worms manage bigger obstacles than that when they're living at home! Keep you posted; got to fit this project in with building a new patio out back!

Spence

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2004, 10:47:09 »
Hi all, what type of worms do you put in the wormery that Ross had a link to, i have made it but i think the dendrbaenna worms will get out of any gaps in it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2004, 15:33:35 »
It seems 'Tiger worms' are the bees knees. As for getting out....why would they if they have all they need right there in the box?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal