Author Topic: Wormery  (Read 12789 times)

jethro

Wormery
« on: March 18, 2004, 12:16:26 »
I have just drawn some plans for a wormery made from a wheelie bin, the tap is naturally at the bottom. There are different levels for the trays, but i can't fathom out how to empty it without tipping it upside down and disturbing the worms  :-\ . Any help in this would be most appreciated.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Wormery
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 12:29:03 »
I read something yesterday, strangely enough, that said when you want to use the compost, spread it on the ground and leave a piece of newspaper on top. The worms then congregate under it as it's cool and shady. I can't tell you if it works or not, but there you go!
gone to pot :D

rdak

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 12:50:23 »
I made one using these instructions, and it's going well (although they don't eat much over winter). Perhaps this can help you:

http://www.troubleatmill.com/wormbin.htm

jethro

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 12:51:23 »
Hi Aquilega, thanks for that i knew someone was brighter than me  ;D (but that's not unusual)  :-\

jethro

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 15:15:01 »
Cheers Ross, i wish i had seen that before i started my own it would have been easier, altho mine is cheaper, raided skips etc for the parts  ;D i got the wheelie bin from my mother, she had one too many from the council  ::) . Altho i might make another one with this site  ;) .

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 11:58:52 »
Ross, great link thanks - I'm definitely going for this - hopefully this weekend as I could make it inside and not get blown over!  The site you gave also links to a fabulous Australian site with loads of info about worms.  I am inspired so thank you.

rdak

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 12:18:15 »
no problem, Ceri. Mine is currently in the shed, but will move it outside soon and make a few modifications- am going to drill air holes all over it and put a plastic lid on the top to keep the rain out. Am also going to make some sort of skirt around the base of each box, so that it stops water getting in that way, but so that it still allows you to change the boxes around.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 10:59:23 »
Ross,
Thanks for this...i'm sure it is within my OH basic DIY skills  ;D  :D

B & Q here I come...

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 16:14:21 »
I'll be doinf one of those too. I brought back some plastic riddles from UK with a wormery in mind and when I got back here I went to a shop looking for something and saw the stacking square bins shown on that site and my head said, 'Do the riddle one first'. Just waiting a nice day so I can play at it outside with a beer.

PS: What's a doinf?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 16:14:46 by kenkew »

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 12:19:48 »
oh bums - the plastic boxes they have in my poundstretchers at the moment are the ones that stack by one side piece sticking inwards and one sticking outwards (very lucid this afternoon me!)  They leave geet big gaps around the top of each box for lots of worms to creep out of if they are feeling the call of the wild!  I'll have to keep searching as I'm really keen on getting one of these started off.  If anyone knows of anywhere that does stackable boxes that don't leave open gaps please let me know!  

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 12:42:26 »
Err, not meaning to sound thick, but I have been pondering.......won't me poor worms fall through the mesh and drown in the fertiliser they are making???  DP  
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 13:49:45 »
Doris,

In the instructions, from the website that Ross guided us to, it says...

"First time you use the system place a couple of sheets of newspaper over the mesh in the starter box to stop the worms falling through the bottom-until they establish the right conditions in the bedding..."

I haven't been to B & Q for the equipment yet.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 15:11:11 »
Opps, note to self, read instructions properly!!  thanks Debs  ;D Mine will be lounging in blue boxes, hope they do not mind, I suppose I could always spray them black if they have an aversion to blue!  DP

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 18:52:15 »
Me too - oops note to self - read instructions!  I thought the boxes were supposed to sit way on top of each other but they don't - presumably you build them up as the vermicompost builds and sit the next box on top for the worms to work their way into - duh!  Understand now I think. Off for the mesh then - mine have got red boxes - hope the worms like bright colours!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 19:28:31 »
By 'eck! We have blue worm bin and we have a red worm bin. Any other colours....(sorry, I got the giggles...first time in a long time..stop..stop...!) :) ;) :D ;D ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 15:43:31 »
Ceri, maybe would should decorate the insides for them too!! ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 16:05:48 »
Doris, you're puddled. You're effort will be wasted, worms are blind! Don't pass on your daft ideas to Ceri (that's my sister's name) or she'll get as daft as you and one plant pot on here is hard enough to deal with. ( bet you grow pink peas, eh?)

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 20:24:29 »
I went to poundstretchers for my 4 for £5 stacking boxes, but they were multi-coloured... think I 'll wait for the next delivery of the  less glaringly obvious , more conservative, black coloured ones...!!  ;D

Hopeful Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 15:58:07 »
Does it make any difference where the wormery is situated as my garden has a lot of shade that is wasted space. Is it ok to put the womery in the shade? Does it change anything.

PS I am not opting for the worms that are seeking a good tan ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 13:46:33 »
Shade is better than sunshine for wormeries. The inside of a plastic box is like an oven in direct sun. OK for cooked worms, but not for live ones. Mine's going round the back of the shed, (when I get round to making it) where it's cool and almost damp all year long.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal