Author Topic: the birds aren't eating their seeds...  (Read 3291 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
the birds aren't eating their seeds...
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:32:32 »
I bought a feeder and some wild bird seed a few weeks ago. It has hung untouched in one of my shrubs every since.

How can I make the birds aware that the restaurant is open and ready to take orders?

The only birds I've ever seen in there are wood pigeons, robins and starlings. (The garden can only be seen from the front door, so most of the time I can see the garden is when I'm in it and therefore the birds aren't!) I know there are blackbirds and thrushes in the area too.
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:the birds aren't eating their seeds...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 06:37:35 »
I know they are very fussy about when & where they eat - and take a long time to get used to things but, as I've mentioned, only 2 Robins have tried out my 5 Star hotel, although the odd tit comes to the fat block underneath - and no one is using the peanut cage.

Ground food, however, does get taken up.  All very strange. = Tim

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 10:02:07 »
You say your feeder is hanging in one of your shrubs Aqui.  Maybe it is not out in the open enough for the birds to feel safe when feeding.  My feeder is out on its own on the patio near some trees where they can quickly fly to for refuge if something frightens them.  I have loads of birds visiting every day about four times a day.  Costing me a fortune in seed but it is worth it.  I use mainly sunflower hearts which are a little more expensive but they absolutely love them.  Why not try moving the feeder to a more open position and see if it makes a difference.  Good luck :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 11:01:25 »
I've noticed a change in feeding habits this last week or so. On the plot the peanut holders and fat balls are well attended, but in the garden the peanuts haven't been touched for ages and the fat balls are only slightly nibbled. I can only put it down to the fact that the soil is warming up and people are starting to disturb the soil with early weeding and tidying up, this brings goodies to the surface and I'm sure the birds relize that this is the best stuff to eat in preparation for the coming broods. The fact that the plot stuff is eaten might be due to the amount of birds, some of the bigger variety too, are in greater numbers. Maybe other creatures are having a nibble there too.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 18:20:39 »
If the peanuts haven`t been touched for ages, they`re probably going mouldy by now, in which case the birds won`t want to know.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 18:43:01 »
NO,NO,NO! We're hygienic in this household - esp after all the advice given earlier about rotting/sprouting seed. = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 18:49:15 »
...and the birds on the plot get peanuts from the same bag as the ones fed to the garden birds.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 18:02:45 »
The birds don't seem to touch our neighbours bird table, but as soon as I start digging down they come and help themselves.  And the starlings graze over our lawn for ages every day!  We had a bird feeder, and it started to grow!  :-[  Now we put things on the lawn or seed on the path, much better, good attendance.  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 19:50:58 »
That sort of makes sense of post #3?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 21:35:01 »
Our garden birds still tucking into their fat balls.  At the Lottie today saw some swallows.  I love those birds - just their soaring and swooping is so heartcatching and uplifting (unintentional pun)!  ;D   When you watch them you can almost imagine what it must feel like being up there with them.  Are they early this year? busy_lizzie  :D
live your days not count your years

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 07:52:56 »
Swallows visit between March and October. Think about when and how we change the clocks. In fact I think I'll make up a little ditti...A-erm!....

When time Marches on,
We'll hear the swallow's song,
But back in October,
The joy is all over.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 07:58:25 »
You are hereby appointed A4A Poet Laureate!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal