Author Topic: The Big Dig - ???  (Read 1332 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
The Big Dig - ???
« on: June 11, 2006, 10:25:35 »
Looks to me as if The Big Dig has been The Big Con again!  On for 2 weeks now vanished again apparently eithout explanation - or have I missed some announcement?

Settled down patiently to watch it as its the Edinburgh Marathon today,  buses off, roads near me closed off so watch The Big Dig then go to the lottie later - but it's not advertised and it's not on  >:( Did they only record a couple of episodes originally and that is all they ahve repeated?
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: The Big Dig - ???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 10:57:03 »
Wicker

It's on in the London region (not much use for you, I know) 

I honestly don't think you are missing much, I didn't see this the first time round, but for me it flits about too much and is too much about the people, i.e., to greenhouse gatherings in Cardiff and not enough about how to and hints and tips.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:35:00 »
Thanks anyway SMP. I'm inclined to agree with you about the content etc - it's just the principle of being mucked around!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 13:07:35 »
Twas on here in the Midlands too and I seem to remember seeing this 3rd episode last year and I thought I'd only seen two ::) :P

There doesn't appear to be much knowledge forth coming, maybe if they had a presenter that new a little about growing veg he/she might fire a few interesting questions at the allotmenteers. ???

In my opinion Simon Mayo shows little enthusiasm in keeping the show alive and walking around in dull clothing and a long sulk on his face, he may be better placed in a show headed "The Undertakers" ;D

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 13:32:27 »
Yes, Simon Mayo could quite easily qualify for 'Celebrity most likely to appear on Blankety Blank'
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 15:34:25 »
it was on this morning in Yorkshire.  I didn't see this series last time it was on, and I'm disappointed in all honesty.   The commentary is a bit CBBC.

I expected it to be a bit faster paced, showing different techniques and giving hints and tips.  There seems to be a lot of repetition, with people doing the same things in the same way. 

I also think they've limited themselves by having only two sites - and why haven't they got one in the  north so we can see the diferences in the seasons

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 17:27:09 »
I agree with everything you have all said.  Watched 3rd episode, but don't feel I have seen anything new in the last 2 weeks... todya's was particularly dull.

Simon Mayo's voice is sooo monotone and dreary...

Any I can only take so much of hearing about the people (yes, it is sad the old soldier's (Carl's) mother had cancer, but I am watching a programme about allotments for crying out loud, not about his mother!... )

mat

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 15:40:02 »
It does seem to be aimed at the day time "grey market" which they seem to think is dim and housebound so will watch anything.

I find it very repetitive but am persevering as I like what the green architect does with her bio-rythmic methods and want to see how her crops do.  She's had some useful tips too for peas and broad beans.   One of the Welsh chaps has some nifty ideas too and I'm keen to see how the chappy doing lunar cycle experiments gets on.     

I record it so, like GW, I can wizz past the boring bits till something interesting happens or I have it on whilst I'm preparing dinner and just pay attention to the good bits - though with GW these are increasingly few and far between.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 17:33:16 »
I've had persistent attacks of migraine for the last ten days, and forgot it two Sundays running. It doesn't sound as though I'm missing too much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal