Author Topic: Help please!!!  (Read 2157 times)

John Sabin

• Not So New ...
  • I am me and I am sorry if you do not like it !!!
Help please!!!
« on: March 18, 2004, 09:14:27 »
Can anyone please help?
I am considering taking up an allotment in my local area and haven't got a clue. Any pointers will be appreciated.
Can any one give me some advice on any aspect of this, like what how where when?
ANYTHING will be helpful and appreciated

Thanks

John
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 09:17:33 by John Sabin »

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
Re:Help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 10:03:43 »
Same here John.  I have been on a waiting list with my local council for about 6 months now.  Despite repeated phone calls and learning that there are plots available I still havent been made an offer.

I have visited the site and spoken to allotment holders there and Im beginning to think that the waiting list is imaginery.

I've written to NSALG for some advice.  I want to approach the allotment committee and ask them if they will allocate a plot to me and I will pay the committe for it.  Not sure how the council will react to this but I think its silly .... 4 plots and I'm 3rd on the waiting list.  Just feel that time is ticking on and I want to have nice fresh organic veggies this year!!

rdak

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 10:17:10 »
Plots that the council say are taken are not always being cultivated- often it just means that the rent has been paid. Find out from the council where all the sites are, go and visit them and ask the allotment holders which ones haven't been used for ages. Then challenge the council over them- certainly in our contract it says you must cultivate the plot or lose it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 10:29:09 »
That was my understanding too, Ross. Use it or loose it. The exiating plot holders are certainly none too happy about vacant plots and the spead of weeds. Would it be possible to try and find out who used to work the plot. Maybe that person has died, moved or just given up on it. If that (live) person were found maybe he could be talked into contacting the council with his intentions?

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:19:39 »
Andi,

Forget the phonecalls, go down in person to the council offices, and insist on seeing someone. Chances are you might sign up there and then.

Phone message have a strange habit of not being passed on, or are noted then fotgotten.

The Gardener

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 11:36:11 »
Thanks for the advice Gardener.  I will defo go to the offices and speak to someone.  Failing that I'll write to my local MP to highlight the problem!

Its most frustrating when you have it from the horses mouth (allotment holders) that plots arent being used and your on a waiting list.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 17:11:53 »
Go with some ammo, Andi.
Get down the allotments and find what's 'vacant' or not been visited for ages. The people down there are the ones who know and believe me, they want these plots tidy and working. Try and get 'last visited' dates. Even take a few snaps of the over-grown plots, especially if there's rubbish or vermin traces. Have a word with the local rag, newspapers love to tackle the council, especially when it's fighting red tape. Don't get mad at the girl down the council, she might have a lotty on there!...but don't be fobbed off with excuses that you know don't make sense.
Power to you.

John Sabin

• Not So New ...
  • I am me and I am sorry if you do not like it !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 19:50:09 »
No I have a plot already.
I wanted some advice on growing veggies and fruit and things and how to lay my plot out and things like that.

Sorry for any confusion

John

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 11:04:13 »
John

First of all have you taken over an existing plot or a overgrown one?  Things that can be started now or very soon depending on your location are.... spuds 1st earlies, carrots, definately broad beans and they look fabbo too... cabbages? onions.... the sizes of your grow areas really should be about 6ft x 4ft each... thats only me opinion cuz it makes access to the veg and hoeing and things like that so much easier.....  can also start tomato seedlings... last year was my first year John and I was very much in the same boat as you.... you can get seed potatoes from garden nurseries or even B & Q  also onion sets... am sure there is a whole range of stuff that can be sown now... but my own knowledge fobids me.... anyway good luck John and let us know if theres anything specific we can help you with.....

all the best

Oz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal