Author Topic: Boohoo (maybe)  (Read 2622 times)

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
Boohoo (maybe)
« on: March 17, 2004, 23:19:41 »
I am attempting, for the first time, to grow veg from seed. Only ever done herbs before.

I put some courgette, some choc chilli (thanks EJ  :D) and some carrots in my little mini propagator thingy last week, and nothing's happening. Am I being too impatient?? I moved it to the kitchen on Sunday, coz it's warmer than my bedroom, and yesterday I took the lid off coz I thought it was a bit too wet in there. Oh dear, I think all may be lost  :'( Please help me save my plants! Should I give them more time, or dig 'em up and see, or just start some more??

Thank you thank you thank you.
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
Re:Boohoo (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 09:08:54 »
Yes I left some we seedlings in my propagator too long and they all got damping off (?) - like they were on alcopops, started fine then in no time looked drunk and fell over.  I was gutted.  Still I think I managed to save the Lemon Grass.  I wont make that mistake - many times :) - more.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 09:10:37 »
I'd wait. Some of mine have taken weeks to come up. Last year my peppers took almost a month. I was about to throw them out when I noticed something green!

If they don't come up in another couple of weeks, sow some more. This time lightly water them when you first sow them and then don't water again until the seeds have germinated and the compost is starting to dry. When I first sow mine, I leave them in a tray of water so they can soak up what they need.
gone to pot :D

rdak

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 09:11:42 »
hi bananagirl,

Are they all in the same propagator...only these seeds have different growing needs...think it's a bit early for courgettes, chillis need to be quite warm and don't have to have light, and carrots aren't usually started in propagators, as they are very sensitive to being moved and are therefore normally sown where they are to grow.

Personally, I would stick the propagator in a warm place, such as an airing cupboard and keep checking twice a day. This way you should get the chillis germinated, possibly the courgettes (not sure if they need light, but it's probably too early for them anyway) and the carrots probably won't germinate, but carrot seed is cheap anyway and you can sow outside now anyway.

let me know how you get on,

Ross

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 09:18:19 »
 :D Thanks everyone. Didn't know about the carrots. Oh well. I don't have anywhere really warm, just been kinda keeping them near the radiator. I'll give 'em another couple weeks, and see how I go. Fingers crossed.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 18:27:42 »
Have you read the thread about germination times on the edible plants page?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 22:29:12 »
My chillis have only just started popping though, and they have taken 3 weeks to germinate.  They are in my conservatory, which altho heated, is no where near as warm as my house.  Give 'em time, but don't be tempted to overwater.  

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 09:12:28 »
Talking of propagators, I have toilet roll inners in mine filled with broad bean seeds.  It seems the tubes are getting white mould on the outside of them.  Is this natural or does it denote nasty spores in the propagator.  I do have the vents open 1/2?

rdak

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 09:14:07 »
I think it's natural and nothing to worry about. On the grow tubes I used for my sweet peas, it says that white mould may appear on the outside and it's fine. If you're worried, make sure there is a bit of space between the tubes and this may help.

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 09:21:35 »
 ;D My carrots started poking their heads thru yesterday, and this morning, I got up to discover 2 of my courgettes trying for daylight. Happy, happy! I did read the germination thread. and I am going to be patient with the chillis. How are yours doing Emma??

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 09:49:29 »
Most of my peppers and chillis are up now, altho only just so still no true leaves.  Mine are slower going as they are in my conservatory which isn't super heated.  They will have to live in there until there is enough room in my greenhouse to move them out.  

rdak

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 09:53:04 »
bananagirl, I think you need to move those carrot seedlings outside asap so that the root can properly develop.

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 10:05:33 »
Hi Ross. Really?? They are very tiny still. Would I not be better waiting til they're a bit bigger??

rdak

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 10:11:15 »
Well, I guess there's an optimum time to transplant, balancing the need for them to be big enough to transplant easily and small enough for them not to become bendy carrots!

Maybe you should prick out the non-carrot seedlings and then let the compost get quite dry and then try and lift the whole tray out onto the ground, rather than transplant each seedling.
Maybe this thread should now be called Woohoo !

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 10:26:16 »
I agree with the Woohoo. I got well excited this morning. Was practically jumping around the kitchen. I'm going to wait a couple more days before I decide what to do with the carrots...give the courgettes a fighting chance, and give my chillis a bit more time. I'm thinking not all in the same seed tray next time  :)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 10:35:54 »
Wait till your seedlings get their true-leaves, that is another great and exciting moment. I was jumping up and down when my toms got theirs a few days ago  ;D ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2004, 12:18:30 »
Carrots really should be planted directly,not sown in trays etc..

And I reckon it is still too early to sow courgettes unless you intend to grow them under some form over cover.

Stephan.

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2004, 08:38:46 »
I'm very pleased with my courgettes at the minute. They look marvellous, all tall and straight. I'm going to take great care of them. They'll stay inside for the next while yet. I've already promised one of them to my mate, so I hope they do ok.

Going to sow some toms today, and will try and find a patch of garden for some carrots, Stephan. You're right, I think. Outside...

You are all wonderful peeps. Don't know what I'd do without y'all  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal