Author Topic: Rebuilding a greenhouse?  (Read 2880 times)

suzylou

• Half Acre
Rebuilding a greenhouse?
« on: May 22, 2006, 14:40:36 »
A very kind A4Aer gave me her old greenhouse last summer, since when it has languished in bits in my garage.

It's now time to put it back together, but being an impatient idiot I didn't take the time when dismantling to label the parts, take any photos, or in any way help myself out  ::)

So, I was wondering....does anyone have some instructions for a "fairly standard aluminium frame" greenhouse they could send me, or give any hints...or am I doomed?

Also, do I need a base?  I think on her lottie it just stood straight on the ground...

Thank you.  And yes, I know, I'm a dumbass  ;D

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
Re: Rebuilding a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 15:05:08 »
I have some pictures of our greenhouse before we dismantled it and took it to our allotment. They show the corners etc and where the bolts go --if any use i can send them to you!

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 15:08:46 »
That would be SO useful - thanks.  Can you send them to suzylou at gmail dot com please!  Ta!!

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 15:11:15 »
On there way

redcow

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 16:09:52 »
We were given a second hand greenhouse which was already dismantled when we went to collect it and had the same problem. We used 4 x railway sleepers on their edges as our base & bolted the frame to them.

Good luck  :)

RC

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 20:54:55 »
We've recently built an aluminium greenhouse (from Focus), and I still have the instruction book.

Would you like me to photocopy it and send you a copy?  It might not be identical, but I shouldn't think it would be very different.

pm me if you want a copy.  Trixiebelle can vouch for me that I won't stalk you if you give me your address.  :o  ;D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 21:30:07 »
Thank you! PM on the way....

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 17:37:19 »
It sounds as though you've got plenty of help with the jigsaw puzzle of assembly, so I'll just add:

Buy new bolts. They're standard, and come in two types, square headed and "cropped".  The square headed ones slide into the frame as you're assembling it.  The cropped ones can be inserted afterwards.  It's handy to have some of the more expensive cropped ones because you're almost inevitably going to find you've done something in the wrong order, and they'll save you from having to dismantle bits of what you've already done.  They're also handy for hanging support wires and things from.

These guys sell them, if it helps ... http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Greenhouse-Warehouse

If you don't have a suitable small socket and matching handle, or at least a ratchet spanner, buy one.  They're worth their weight, honestly.  An electric screwdriver with a suitable socket would be even better.

The suggestion of a wooden base is a good one.  You don't necessarily need sleepers, but fairly stout timbers are recommended.

When you're glazing you MUST wear gloves.  I still have a scar across my knuckles ...

Buy new clips for the glazing.  There are different types - just use whatever was used before.

Finally, consider buying a couple of suction grips (or at least one) ... like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-POWER-GRIP-SUCTION-CUP-LIFTING-DENT-PULLING-ECT_W0QQitemZ8050341699QQcategoryZ30923QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They make handling the glass sheets much easier (and safer).

HTH

John

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal