Author Topic: SPRING IS IN THE AIR  (Read 2435 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
SPRING IS IN THE AIR
« on: March 17, 2004, 13:49:22 »
I watch the garden birds all the time and note the dates when I first see the swallow etc.  Well today, is such a day because pied 'willie' wagtail is back from his wintering feeding grounds.  He always turns up around 14th to 17th March and sure enough today, there he is as bold as brass bobbing about at my back door. I now feel spring is in the air.

Earlier today I couldnt get my work done for watching 5 female pheasants feeding and a big male pheasant standing guard over them.  Gosh he is lucky having so many.  He went mental when I went outside with more seed and his 'wifes' scurried away.  He flew towards me but landed above my head on the roof before flying off again after his ladies.  Two hours later he came back huffing and puffing.  I await the return of his ladies.  

So the next key date is when I see the first swallow.  Spring is definately in the air.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:SPRING IS IN THE AIR
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 15:58:18 »
I agree Carol, today when I collected my son from school I could smell cut grass.  Last night when I opened the garage door for Ava at about 6.30pm, the birds were still singing and it was still just light, and the frogs are a-croaking!  

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 16:10:08 »
My favourite time of the year - a new load of frogspawn appearing every day and the fish are extra lively due to the warmer water. Collard Doves getting frisky on my back garden wall and the little men from the council have been round and cut the grass verges ::) :D  Have to do it on a set day every year whether it is raining, snowing etc. It's tradition :-\ ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 16:11:26 by Patricia S. »
Happy gardening all...........Pat

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 17:17:33 »
Have been to the lottie today and the birds were singing and chattering their little hearts out.  :D  Blue skies and sunshine all afternoon and so warm in our little plot - it felt wonderful to be alive!   ;D busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

John_Verney

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 20:05:23 »
I think it is amazing as I watch the starlingsfly to and fro. The Red Devils are not in the picture

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal