Author Topic: DIY Garden projects  (Read 2783 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
DIY Garden projects
« on: March 17, 2004, 11:13:25 »
My contibution in this thread will be about the greenhouse on my plot as shown in 'Gallery'. (I'd be very keen to see and hear other DIY garden projects.)
I'll keep it as brief as possible but will attempt to explain parts that might not be too clear if anyone asks.
When I took the plot I found all sorts of bits in the hut and it was what I found that determined the size of the g'house. I just worked with what I had.
The 'Base'.
After soaking in preservative, I sunk 8 off 1m x 3" round posts to form a rectangle 3m x 2m. I checked the square and level of the tops which stood out of the ground about 15".
On the outside of the 2 long sides and one end I screwed rough cut planking. (about 12" wide.) Again, keeping them reasonably level to each other. On the inside of the long sides I screwed angle iron. This, then gave me my 'base'.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:DIY Garden projects
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 11:29:39 »
The 'Lid'.
I had two 3m lengths of 1/2" galvanised pipe onto which I put 4 off, 5/8" 90 degree bends, one at each end. Inbetween I slid on 5/8" 'T' pipe fittings. Between the 'T' fittings I put lengths of 5/8" H/d plastic pipe cut to about 40cm length. The plastic pipe held the fittings at the right distances. I put each loosly assembled 'rod' onto the angle iron brackets and loosly tied them on with string. The supports which formed the roof were made from about 7off 3m lengths of 1/2" semi-rigid plastic tube.
All I had to do was push fit these tubes into the pipe fittings. The tension of the bend was enough to hold them in place. Just before, and during this bit of the assembly, I applied silicone glue/sealant to all the 'joints' and gaps including where tubes fitted int the pipe fittings.
While the sealant was setting I put gaffers tape between adjacent roof tubes using a piece of wood with two nails hammered in as a spacer. I fastened the long bottom 'rods' to the angle iron with twisted wire.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:DIY Garden projects
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 12:03:22 »
The 'Lid' ; 2
This framework gave me a problem! It wasn't strong enough to take the plastic top. So, I laid wire fencing over it and fastened it to the boards on the 2 long sides with staples. I also used gaffer tape at points along the tube to hold the fenceing down onto the shape of the tubes. At the end I fastend more fencing to close it off. On top I put the plastic sheet. I dug channels down either side and buried the sheet along both lengths. I fastened a shaped piece of plastic to the fencing at the end laving a gap of 4" at the top so the wind would have somewhere to go and not lift the whole thing and send it flying. That's about it. The inside can be made to suit whatever is to grow in there.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal