Author Topic: Rant !  (Read 2426 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Rant !
« on: June 02, 2006, 23:15:12 »
'scuse the next 5 mins.  Am so, so, soooo annoyed.  We live in the centre of Sheffield where parking is still free, so quite often its difficult to park, due to commuters and shoppers.  Our street is also popular with students.  If you can't park (which happens quite regularly, especially during the daytime), you have a little grumble and drive to the next street. 

We came home tonight just after 10pm (have been out since 4pm) and there was only one space left at our end of the street, so we parked in it - about 6/7 doors away from our house.  40 mins later a lady appears banging on the door asking us to be more neighbourly and considerate and not park in 'her space' as she has two children.  Well, I'm sorry, but a) we don't know that she's not away for the w/e, b) you don't have a right to park outside of your own house and c) if we didn't park in it, then the next person to return home would.

If someone is parked outside our house (probably 85% of the time), we don't go knocking on their door, we just find a spare space and get on with it.

Was tempted to ask why she had two young children out at such a late hour, but bit my tongue.  Apparently the point of her coming round was to clear the air ??  have only met her once (and she was banging on about other people parking then).  I think this is probably the second time in 4 years that I've actually parked outside her house, so feel justified in feeling pretty peed off.  Apparently her neighbour is a caring and compasionate person as they don't take her space, they park around the corner.

so ridiculous ... grrr

Rant over ...

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Rant !
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 00:06:05 »
Maybe her neighbour is fed up with her moaning!!. Since when has a person got the right to claim part of a public road as their own space?? As you said if it wasn't you who parked there no doubt the next person looking for a space would have.
Happy parking ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 00:30:36 »
We have the same problem and the same attitude as you mc55 so we know where you are coming from.  The only problem we ever have is if one of the neighbours parks their Transit sized van in front of our window when their car is in front of theirs - and then we only moan to each other.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 10:01:48 »
We don't have a car, probably the only one who doesn't in our street, whereas most household have at least two.  Our street always has parked cars too, as quite a lot people don't have garages and it can be a problem, with people getting very possessive about the road outside their house.  Quit often you will see homemade sign saying "Polite Notice" or  "Reserved Parking Space", which always makes me smile, as they must realise that they have no rights to the road.  We have a driveway and a garage ironically, and from time to time have let our neighbours park a car there. It must be very frustrating at times. I just wish public transport was better in some parts of the country so that people might accept they don't really need a car, which would be so much better for the environment. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 10:23:56 »
RC.When we first moved here the guy opposite used to park his transit van AND a big trailer loaded with machinery on the grass verge outside our bungalow. I try to keep the place looking tidy and even cut the grass verge. Our (oops sorry) THE grass verge had ruddy great ruts in it. We politely asked him why he didn't park on the verge outside his house. The reply was  "Can't see out of our window!!" He had a driveway but I don't think he could reverse ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 14:12:37 »
The only way we're going to have a decent public transport system is if the government puts some serious money into it. They've done nothing but undermine it ever since Beeching, where sensible subsidies (you can't do it without) could so easily have given us a world-class network and a lot less traffic congestion.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 16:29:28 »
RC.When we first moved here the guy opposite used to park his transit van AND a big trailer loaded with machinery on the grass verge outside our bungalow. I try to keep the place looking tidy and even cut the grass verge. Our (oops sorry) THE grass verge had ruddy great ruts in it. We politely asked him why he didn't park on the verge outside his house. The reply was  "Can't see out of our window!!" He had a driveway but I don't think he could reverse ;D
:o Cheaky somethingorotherthatwon'tgetthroughtheswearfilter.

mc55

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 17:12:12 »
ooo Lorna, priceless - made me laugh out loud, thanks xx

I'd love to be without a car, but unfortunately my work is 30 miles away.  As much as I enjoy my work it does cross my mind occasionally that maybe I should look for something closer.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 19:48:55 »
;D I think that is the only time in  all the years I had been with Charlie that I saw him lost for words!! We moved here about 18years ago but a lot of neighbours who are my age have lived here since the estate was first built. They have told me the guy was always a tricky so and so when all their children were growing up together. Mind you I suppose I shouldn't speak ill of the dead....poor bloke died of a heart attack at the age of 56. Then again after he had died his widow told me what a .......he was!!
Glad it made you smile mc55 ::)

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 23:07:12 »
I'll rephrase that then:

:o Cheaky dead somethingorotherthatwon'tgetthroughtheswearfilter.
 ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 23:49:19 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 16:32:03 »
We used to have a back gate that  our boys used to bring in their bikes, most people would, if they parked over the gateway, leave enough room to get through. One evening, a very large estate car parked so close to the gate that the boys had to lift the bikes over the roof!! How selfish is that. Wonder how they got home with 4 flat tyres!!! ;) ;)

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 20:47:26 »
It doesn't  only happen in towns, we used to live in a small village in Leicestershire, and had a drive to the garage, complete with double gates and a dropped kerb. 

We frequently had people park right across the gateway so we couldn't get the car out.  One night we had booked to go the theatre and weren't able to go because we were blocked in.

Why are some people so inconsiderate and thoughtless ???

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 10:36:06 »
   a lady appears banging on the door asking us to be more neighbourly and considerate and not park in 'her space' as she has two children. 

I used to live in a place with only on-street parking.  One day I parked in the last available space, and had a similar experience while locking the car.  Woman demanded that I move and let her have the space "because I have children in the car".  (I didn't.)

What is it with people who think that having children gives them a divine right to park wherever they like?  I'll give up a space if there is an elderly frail or disabled person in the car, but for children ...?

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 14:23:12 »
I have two kids and on-street parking, and while I try to park outside my house, sometimes it's just not possible. But the idea of asking other people to move their cars from 'my' space is laughable. For a start it's a public road, and secondly I don't like getting thumped! (although once or twice I've been sad enough to move my car when someone else went out... :-[)

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 14:42:27 »
What a cheek! As long as your car is taxed you can park where you want. I hope you didn't move your car. I get a bit put out when people park outside my place as I have three young children but would bang on their door.

mc55

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 21:14:50 »
hmm, saw the precious young children ... although they do both appear to be under 10 (just), they were running up and down the street and also cycling up and down the street ... unsupervised.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 00:03:38 »
We came home tonight just after 10pm (have been out since 4pm) and there was only one space left at our end of the street, so we parked in it - about 6/7 doors away from our house.  40 mins later a lady appears banging on the door asking us to be more neighbourly and considerate and not park in 'her space' as she has two children. 

Well she doesn't have a space, apart from the one between her ears, I don't believe you can own a public highway unless you can buy it, on a slightly different tale, we used to have peeps park their cars outside of my garage fairly regularly as the garage is in a service road, then I continually phoned the police to get them removed, in the end a parking ticket was placed on one vehicle and the problem went away. ;D

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 00:23:03 »
this one ticks me off my road is a dead end shaped like a banjo  the drives are staggered when i first moved in nearly 3 years ago 4 off the people that lives next across and at the side of my house came out (bear in mind my husband was moving us in first day long wheeled based van ) and told us we couldn't park  over our drive to the left or to the right because each person could not get in ( that was understandable ) so my oh car goes up the drive and my car goes on the road over our drive but on the other side of the road ( the only one I'm bothering is me or my oh ) on Saturday i was cleaning my husbands car so we could go to the wedding  he was out in mine  the girlfriend of the lad next door  came parked right over my drive on the other side of the road ( car on drive blocked in ) .It might not have botherd me that much except for the darn right cheek of i was stood at the gate having a cuppa i was in plain view  she got out got in to another car and drove off  even waved to say hello i had to ask the other lad that lives next door not to park there while my husband was out as i was going out ( it was raining so i was taking the car to a petrol station to vac it out ) and the real bad thing is when they came back (very very drunk ) i asked her to move the car so i could get out  so was very very rude so when she drove off to go home i called the p.l.o.i.c.e. well i did need to get out off my drive i asked nicely and the words she used my Kidd's wear out in the garden she had only been out for max 3 hours i just got to a car valeting place for 4pm by the time she blocked me in

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 08:55:51 »
Apparently her neighbour is a caring and compasionate person as they don't take her space, they park around the corner.
and p****s off someone else!

people are amazing arent they-in our small block of shops we have a communal garden at the back-slightly difficult for us to reach as we personally dont have a door to it,but we can go round thru a gate into it-a couple of years ago i was sat on me step-eating me sarnies when the people at one end who are reknowned for their 'attitude' to everyone-were passing and said condescendingly-if you like you could sit in our garden and eat your lunch.....'

these are the same people whe block a very narrow road constantly-whilst waving imperiously to people stuck behind them for aaaaages,then when someone momentarily stops and they are behind,hoot furiously !!!!
people...i luv 'em..cant live with 'em...cant live.er....with 'em........
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal