Author Topic: The frogs are croaking tonight!  (Read 3064 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
The frogs are croaking tonight!
« on: March 06, 2004, 23:05:45 »
Well! The whole of our garden is vibrating with sound tonight.  ;D ;D The frogs are in the pond and they are croaking their little hearts out.  As far as I am concerned Spring has definitely arrived in the North East now, and I am sure tomorrow when I look, our pond will be thick with spawn.  :D It is also a full moon, I wonder if that is significant? Isn't nature wonderful! busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:The frogs are croaking tonight!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 23:15:52 »
I noticed the full moon to BL.  Cold though...brrrr I bet those frogs are making whooppee to keep warm!   ;D :o ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 23:16:08 by EJ - Emma Jane »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 21:17:41 »
Frogs still having a riotious time in the pond, ;D but no sign yet of any frog spawn.  Fully expect the neighbours to complain about the noise, as croaking still vibrating throughout the garden on high volume.  Was a bit worried as I am hoping we don't have a frost tonight and the pond freezes over.  That would be a monumental disaster in the frog population of our garden.  :(  busy_lizzie  

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 23:12:07 »
having a riotious time, Spring has definitely arrived in the North East  

Alas! No such luck here BL  ;)

...........and as for the frogs.......well they are comatose too!!  ;D  ::)  ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 13:19:48 »
frogs frogs frogs everywhere!  Well, at my boys school anyhow.  They have a tiny moulded pond in the kids playground, up high so safe, and all the kids were dragging their mums to go see, and there was hardly any water for frog spawn, and frogs everywhere.  I have never ever seen so many frogs and spawn in what was no more than a puddle of a pond!  They were croaking and all being very friendly with one another...lucky them...and with an audience!   ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 14:31:17 »
The friends I was staying with have a resident toad. He took up residency a year ago in a discarded paint tin which had been thrown out by the decorators and which had landed on its side amongst the undergrowth under some palms. In time part of the tin (the ceiling, like) rusted, so they gave it a roof of an old flip-flop. And there he is, during the day, coming out at night to go a-courting and protect his hosts from all the biting nasties that there are around, meanwhile, of course, getting bigger and bigger..

To hear Peggy, my friend, after dark, go out into the garden asking if anyone had seen her 'Big Willie' is a memory not to be quickly forgotten ;D ;D ;D - Lish

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 15:09:21 »
Our frogs seem to have had a bad weather break as all deserted the pond during the very cold icy snap we had. But there they were this morning again, with the pond bubbling over covorting around, so not finished yet. Think it might be going to be a bit of a bumper year. ;D busy_lizzie

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 23:07:39 »
No sign of any frogs let alone spawn here  :'( :'(

Maybe Scottish frogs are just a bit slower off the mark.  ???

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal