Author Topic: Beds  (Read 4530 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Beds
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 17:25:22 »
I think beetroot belongs to the beet family and can be grown with roots. Like RC says turnip and swede also kohl rabi go with the brassica.

have a look at this too http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1200/crop_rotation.asp

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 17:40:52 »
ah, thanks for clearing that up, guys. i'll know better next year then :rolleyes:
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

amphibian

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 07:16:21 »
A word of warning, don't group all you Solanaceae together, keep your tomoatoes and potatoes apart, otherwise blight may spread more easily. Unfortunately because of the way my neighbours rotate their crops compared to mine, it is impossible for me to keep my tomatoes away from their and my potatoes.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2006, 08:39:44 »
I've got my outdoor tomatoes planted between my asparagus. Apparently they're good companions and I thought the feathery asparagus bushes might help support the tomatoes as they grow. The other tomatoes are beside my fruit bushes. Unfortunately I had to plant some Pink Fir Apple in the adjacent bed since I ran out of space. But you're right. It's one thing rotating your own plants but it's hard to take into account what your neighbours might be doing.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 13:14:58 by grawrc »

amphibian

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2006, 12:38:52 »
I've got my outdoor tomatoes planted between my asparagus. Apparently they're good companions and I thought the feathery asparagus bushes might help support the tomatoes as they grow. The other tomatoes are beside my fruit bushes. Unfortunately I had to plant some Pink Fir Apple in the adjacent bed since I ran out of space. But you're right. It's own thing rotating your own plants but it's hard to take into account what your neighbours might be doing.

You can try to match their rotation, however this then increases the likelihood of pests spreading.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal