Author Topic: Beds  (Read 4529 times)

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
Beds
« on: June 01, 2006, 17:19:28 »
I have got my plot ready to be planted and I think I have decided that I want to go down the beds route, to maximise harvest and makeit easier to maintain.

My question really is what can I plant together?  I have loads that I want to grow but don't have a clue about what will grow well in the same beds.

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Beds
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 17:31:17 »
how many beds do you have boo bah? the most important thing you need to consider is your crop rotation, which is  a whole subject unto itself!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 17:32:17 »
rotation!

the easiest way to organise your plot is work out some plan based on rotation groups.
this still allows for some flexibility but gives you the basis for your plot management.

use the search function on here to search for 'rotation' - it has been discussed before :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 19:33:29 »
Hi bbb,

What to plant with what?
Most veg will work together if a) they enjoy similar soil conditions, b) don't shade or crowd each other (unless they like shade) and c) won't unsettle their neighbours when harvested (e.g. by lifting roots).
Several people say they enjoy mixing plants on their beds, they say it confuses the bugs and makes for healthier crops (e.g. planting carrots and alliums together)
If you make mistakes (I planted my overwintering broadies to the north of a broccoli hedge, never again!) it's not a problem - you just learn something new for next year!
Have you got a good book about growing on beds, and what plants are happy together?
I'd recommend this one unhesitatingly!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0715317814/qid=1149185833/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-0411622-2192660

Rotation
The wiki is very good for info on rotating crops.
But with a new plot/garden I'd be very relaxed about rotation in your first couple of years, just get stuff in :) and don't plant anything in the same place two years running :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 19:36:51 by supersprout »

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 08:00:25 »
Sarah - I have 16 4m x 2m beds, I hope this sounds about right!

Supersprout - Thanks for the advice.  I have reserved a copy of the book at my local library

My brain aches with everything that I need to know.  I think I'm trying to be too ambitious for a complete beginner.  I have never grown anything before so I really don't have a clue and am learning as I go along

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 08:04:28 »
another book recommendation i can make is joy larkcom's grow your own vegetables. this should be available in any bookshop.

i too spent some nights reading last year, trying to get a grip on the very same problem :)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 08:47:56 »
Yes it does all seem a bit daunting to start with, i still feel a bit like it myself and find myself having circular dreams about seedlings and spacings and weeds.   the important thing to remember is that you will have successes and failures and you will learn each season. 

sixteen small beds sounds like a very good start (much more organised than my own haphazard arrangement).  i would divide these into 3 groups of 4 and use a basic four year rotation, numbering the beds on your plan 1a 1b 1c ...2a 2b etc etc. the other 4 beds i would give over to permanent crops which are not part of the rotation such as soft fruit and asparugus.   hope that doesnt sound too complicated it isnt really when you have it drawn on a plan. good luck, keep asking if you get stuck (we all do!)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 09:01:27 »
My brain aches with everything that I need to know.  I think I'm trying to be too ambitious for a complete beginner.  I have never grown anything before so I really don't have a clue and am learning as I go along

Join the club bbb! :P :-[
Puzzling over what to plant and where still occupies me on many a long train journey ??? Remember to have FUN and experiment to your heart's content, enjoy the first year, it's very special.
the important thing to remember is that you will have successes and failures and you will learn each season. 
Plants are great teachers ;), so if you just get stuff in they will sweep you along as they grow :o :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:03:51 by supersprout »

ann hunter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 09:11:14 »
Hi bbb
Allotmenting is like starting a new job.! The first year you see what other people are doing (while tentatively weeding , planting and constructing,) the second you have a go, the third you learn from your mistakes and by the fourth you are starting to get the whole thing sussed. Ready for success with all th geat ideas. :D
when the going gets tough..........

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 10:35:23 »
For the purposes of rotation I have beds for roots, brassicas, others and permanents.

Would I put squashes/pumpkins with 'others'?

I know that asparagus and soft fruits are 'permanents', but is there anything else that should be included in this category?

Where should I put melons and rhubarb?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 10:47:06 »
rhubarb would go in a permanent bed, i think you are supposed to lift and divide every five years or so.  squashes and pumpkions yes i think they are others. melons i think (but may be wrong) you would need to do under glass.   cant hink of any other permenents off hand unless you fancy a herb bed.  i am sure someone will come up with some others!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 11:41:36 »

So am I. Fun, isn't it!

Agree with Svea about the Joy Larkom book, and would also recommend the Dr Heyasson Veg and Herb Expert and also Sarah Raven's Great Vegetable Plot - both have lots of sound advice about crop rotation.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 11:49:42 »
So am I right in thinking that I put roots in beds together, so for example beetroot and carrots can go in the same bed, and the same for brassicas etc etc.

I thought I had it sussed and then my dh came along and confused me all over again  ::)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 12:08:20 »
Hi Baby BB. Welcome to the mysteries of crop rotation!

I found Gavin's site really helpful when I was starting and this article about plant families will help sort out what goes where http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/tech/rotfam.htm   The rest of the site is also really good especially the monthly jobs planner.

Hope this helps and just enjoy yourself.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 13:42:46 »
More permanents: Jerusalem artichoke and Globe artichoke.
You can move JAs about, but they are b*ggers to get out completely if you do. Globe artichoke are like rubub, start again every five years, but that's a loooong way off ;)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 14:59:55 »
yes, dont be fooled thinking beetroot is a root crop - it's a brassica in disguise!

i group roots: potatoes, parsnips, carrots
brassicas: a group unto themselves, incl. cabbages, sprouts, broccoli, rocket, kohlrabi, beetroot
alliums and beans: garlic, onions, leeks, all kinds of beans and peas
i grow squashes, cucumbers etc where i can fit them in, same with sweetcorn.

tomatoes, aubs and peppers are the same group as potatoes (botanically speaking) but because they can all get infected with similar diseases, i grow them not together, but seperately. do not forget, however, that they belong to the same group rotation wise and hence you should avoid growing toms and potatoes in the same beds in subsequent years.

in reality, my brassica section is much smaller than my other two, so this is where i put in my 'others' group plants, mainly, to balance it out.

you will rarely grow the same amount of veg in the same space for each group.

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 15:15:33 »
Thanks Supersprout & Svea  :).  I was working on the classifications in the Vegetable Expert book where both JA & Beetroot are classed as roots  ::)

Also, just another thought - if the instructions for spacing in the packets/in books are based on rows and beds can be planted closer together, how do I know how much space to leave between crops?  I know this will depend on what the vegetable is but is there a principle to work to?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 15:26:48 by baby_boo-bah »

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 16:02:52 »
hmm, maybe beetroot is root, not brassica?
the seeds certainly look the same as kohlrabi, and the seedlings look very similar indeed. i havent actually checked in the book though :-[

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 16:31:05 »
Also, just another thought - if the instructions for spacing in the packets/in books are based on rows and beds can be planted closer together, how do I know how much space to leave between crops?  I know this will depend on what the vegetable is but is there a principle to work to?

Also a beginner to this & a bit behind you - we are still clearing - hope to have one bed ready this weekend ;). I am also planning a bed system & asked about spacing recently:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,20004.0

I have bought Pauline Pears book (published thru HDRA) "Beds" & it has proved to be a useful guide.

Regards

Saz

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 17:06:33 »
Swede and turnips are brassicas - Beetroot is Beta Vulgaris - I have mine in with my parsnips, in the same area as my alliums and carrots.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal