Author Topic: Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!  (Read 17726 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:55:16 »
I bought an incubator off ebay, tested it and it seemed to work, ordered eggs, bought eggs off maket and all sorts.

The end result is 70 banty eggs sat in my living room urgently needing to go in the incubator.

Incubator won't work, first the element went, then the thermostat went, then i got a thermostat kit, that wont work.

I've run out of money as i spent it all on this stupid incubator taht wornt work and on eggs... a new thermostat and element from manufacturer is going to cost £50 which i cant afford.

I jsut feel like crying!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 12:42:16 by OliveOil »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: I just want to cry!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:08:04 »
So sorry to hear of grief olive oil :'(
Just a thought - is there a local poultry breeders group that might be able to loan you incubator space? Is there anything that could be rigged up at home with old fridge grilles, light bulbs, in the oven and so on? ???

Sorry I can't be of more help olive, hope someone else here can do better, and hope your banties pull through.

Can you still get the money back >:( from the ebay seller?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:23:35 »
paid cash on collection unfortunately! I have been in touch with her and she said 'i never got it working' - shame she didnt say that in the description.

I could prob wire a bulb up but then there is still the problem of a thermostat to control the temperature.

I feel so deflated as i've been looking forward to this for so long.  I'll keep on turning the ggs for a couple of more days!

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:33:49 »
You should be able to report her to ebay as the goods are not as described.  If she knew that the incubator didn't work I think she has a legal obligation to inform any potential buyers, same as when you buy a car, if the owner knows it has a fault they have to tell you.

Might be worth getting some advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau

Sorry I can't help with the eggs but DON'T GIVE UP

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:34:22 »
I'd report her to ebay and see what happens

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 17:32:04 »
Yes I will be reporting her to ebay... but in the meantime i have rigged something rather crude up - so fingers crossed... wish me luck.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 17:49:29 »
Dreadful news, and I really feel for you  :(

Exploring all options - try your local freecycle group too....might be in luck & worth a try?

Sprotties suggestion of contacting a local breeders' group's really sound, too.

Good luck!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 21:59:59 »
Yes I will be reporting her to ebay... but in the meantime i have rigged something rather crude up - so fingers crossed... wish me luck.

Tell her first.  The threat of being reported and having an action taken out against you usually does the trick with fraudulent eBay members.  I've dealt with my fair share over the past three years <sigh>

Well done on rigging up something in the meantime.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 23:30:44 »
[quote  - so fingers crossed... wish me luck.
[/quote]

fingers toes and everything else crossed for you, good luck.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 00:11:59 »
Well so far so good - maintainned correct temperature all night! Just turned the eggs by hand - all 70 of them ... imust be mad!

OH doesnt know about my little set up yet... i think when he comes to bed he is going to be non too pleased!!!  Just hope i dont set fire to the house LOL. Just dont ask!!! :P

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 07:03:45 »
oh go on tell us.  we'll not report you to health and safety, we promise.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 08:25:21 »
heheh... well! Earlier in the week i put the thermometer in the airing cupoard - it reached perfect temperature! So i put the incubator in there on the top shelf, put water in the tray and eggs in - left the lid off for an hour.  I put the hot water on and put a lamp under the incubator on the shelf below.  By yesterday afternoon it had reached 39 degrees, then before bed i turned the hot water off. Got up this morning and its 38.5degrees so i've put the hot water back on for an hour. 

So the plan is - everytime i turn the eggs, i put the hotwater on for an hour - that should keep the temperature stable.

So far, so good - i figured i had nothing to lose!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 08:29:37 »
Hope they're not hard boiled by the end of it . :o

i'd award you 10/10 for ingenuity, but then i know nothing about incubating chicks.   ;D

good luck and keep us up to date won't you ?
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 11:42:49 »
Hope they're not hard boiled by the end of it . :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ingenuity of wimmen, eh?

Keep the progress reports commin :D 

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 15:30:17 »
clever olive, good luck, keeping everything crossed for you and your banties. How long to wait til they hatch?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 16:56:16 »
still on target temperature

18 days to go ish lol hehehe

Oh - OH said it was a fire hazard - like im listening!  I dont think it is- hes just more bothered about the electric and gas bills... maybe he should have bought me an incubator instead ;)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 19:42:27 »
Good luck with your eggs Olive.  Dont laugh at this many years ago my mother put a light bulb in a glass cuboard and when it was warm she put some eggs in and yes they did hatch, she was a bit of a try anything once oddbod, i was very young and just thought thats  clever!!!!!!. ::)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 22:19:48 »
OMG =- I'm not laughing - you have given me hope... much needed hope amongst all this madness! OH thinks i've gone completely potty and is worried about my mental health hehehe  :P ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 22:40:40 »
A well-known (among beekeepers) way of liquifying set honey is to rig up a lightbulb in an old fridge, with either a thermostat or a variable resistor to control the temperature. All sorts of thing can work well.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 09:39:42 »
How's it going Oliveoil? Still turning those eggs?! Got my fingers and toes crossed for you  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal