Author Topic: No Frogs  (Read 2287 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
No Frogs
« on: May 29, 2006, 14:55:31 »
Hi everyone, I built a wildlife pond back in march, I was so chuffed when I saw my first frog in only a few days but he/she disappeared. ???  The pond now looks lovely and well established but I have no frogs, I was putting it down to being late in the year untill yesterday when I pulled back some of the black poly and found a rather large grass snake :o Im slowly getting used to working along side the wildlife that visits my plot, Ive had to, its a little embarassing running around the plot waving your arms around like a lunatic :-[ Im a bit of a wimp. has anybody else had a grass snake on there plot and do they hang around Im hoping hes gone by the time I get down there again. Im taking my camera with me next time just in case hes still there.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
Re: No Frogs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 16:41:14 »
Oh dear Chuff, it's quite possible that your froggy friend became dinner. Grass snakes are often found in the vicinity of ponds because this provides them with food (frogs, tadpoles, toads etc). Their eggs need heat to hatch and this heat source is usually found in compost heaps. For this reason your lottie with compost heaps and pond is an ideal habitat for him. Grass snakes are harmless so why not leave him be? :)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 21:26:02 »
I'v got loads of tadpoles in my small pond so Iknow frogs have been about
but I've not seen any, then somebody told me there is a disease going around
I live just north of bristol, does anyone know anything about it?
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 22:25:31 »
Loads of Tadpoles, not seen too many frogs recently but they tend to lie low after the mating season. Not heard of any disease but if I get hold of that cat that mauls them.....
 >:(

Dave Richardson

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 17:12:50 »
I'v got loads of tadpoles in my small pond so Iknow frogs have been about
but I've not seen any, then somebody told me there is a disease going around
I live just north of bristol, does anyone know anything about it?

Hi my friend, sadly you are not alone, I live south of you in Plymouth and we lost all the frogs & toads from around our pond last year to a diease.

Dave
Regards

Dave

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 23:08:44 »
what disease is it and is there a way of preventing or curing it?

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 16:03:02 »
;D ;D ;Dyesterday I saw 3 bright eyed frogs heads in between all the taddies so I'm hoping whatever this disease is, it is missing my little pool
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal