Author Topic: Germination times  (Read 8730 times)

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
Germination times
« on: March 16, 2004, 06:06:14 »
A week ago I sowed the following indoors
tomatoes, broad beans, peas, cucumbers
watermelon, bell peppers, broccoli

as you can see from these pics I've had mixed success

http://www.chriscoates.com/Coates/freedomblog.nsf/stories/Sproutingalready

6 out of 6 cucmbers
12 out of 12 broccoli
most of the peas and beans

but only 2 tomatoes from 15 have shown and peppers and watermelon are no shows.

Is it just a question of waiting a bit longer ?

beers,
      -B_B-

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
Re:Germination times
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 08:18:06 »
My Broccoli, cabbage and lettuce have all come through quite quickly in an unheated greenhouse. Peas are taking a bit longer, but I haven't given up on them yet.

Tomatoes I have in the spare room (near the hot water tank), and two varieties have 90% germination in two weeks whilst the others have only 60%. I've turned them regularly every evening, so its not that some were colder.

I don't think you need worry BB, they will make their way through in their own good time - peppers and watermelon need warmth and it looks like we are in for a mild spell.

:-* Tricia

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 08:49:33 »
Worry spoils the fun! There's always tomorrow. Or, when you are reeelly back-against-the-wall, buy some plants - it's not cheating!! = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 09:15:53 »
My toms germinated very gradually. A few took a week, some took two or even three weeks. I thought some of the varieties were not going to germinate at all. But now I think the seeds are virtually all up.

Just wait a while...
gone to pot :D

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 09:17:17 »
I agree Tim, and what adds even more fun is I haven't sown much yet.

Next week is a busy week for me!, cuttings come off the hot bed and seeds go on.

The Gardener

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 10:28:56 »
But please tell me something?

How is it that people get away with sowing their leeks outside now, when I can only get to this stage, at 55+ deg, in 10 days?? = Tim

PS - That's not the fine vermiculite.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:52:22 by tim »

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 11:46:56 »
Because they probably sowed them in October / November and gave them light & heat throughout the winter.

The Gardener

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 12:13:18 »
My answer - no idea.  I sowed mine in a heated propogator with no vermiculite on 13th Feb - that early because I was told to by the leek expert in lottie next door.  I potted them on last week and they are now on the kitchen windowsill and have developed well, with the 1st 'leaf' about 3-4 inches high.  I've never grown them before so it is pure luck and I'm not showing off (much) - and they might all fold over and die yet anyway!  Mine grew to just a bit bigger than yours (ooer missus) in about the same time, stopped for a bit and then cracked on with it.  Perhaps they are about to astound you with a big growth spurt!  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 12:33:38 »
I am generally pleased with the speed things are germinating in the greenhouse.  My peppers are in my conservatory and I was about to give up and sow some more and place them somewhere warmer, when lo and behold, the first few have started poking their noses through.  ;D  I figure, if things don't germinate first time, sow some more, everyone keeps saying that later sowings catch up, and I don't mind if things crop a few weeks later than maybe the packet says they should.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 14:57:16 »
 What I meant, Big G, was that folk were saying on the board that they are just sowing outside now - surely they'll take a long time to fruition? = Tim

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 17:41:42 »
There is no way would I consider sowing anything insitu at the moment, May at the earliest for me.

A great deal of my stuff is brought on in a cold frame/greenhouse and 'transplanted'

By doing it this way I can get within a couple of weeks of people south of the Thames harvest dates, so thats good enough for me.

As I said in another thread I start my serious sowings over the next three weeks.

Its the old story 'patience' whats that saying? all good things come to those who wait

« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 17:42:29 by The gardener »

The Gardener

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 19:55:26 »
I have a feeling you've read my words?

So why don't they? = Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 21:37:50 »
This year, for the first time, I used an electric heating pad under the tomatoes and pepper seed trays. It made an enormous difference in germination time. Peppers took about a week while before they would take a month and sometimes more for them to germinate.

These are the tomatoes.

Melons in the foreground and peppers behind.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 21:44:26 by ina »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2004, 22:09:10 »
Cor, I am amazed that you have melons in and growing already.  Bit like the beans mentioned on another thread.  I am soooo impatient with sowing things, but even I wait a bit longer for them.....maybe I should get down to the greenhouse and get planting!

My leeks are about the size of yours Tim, all snuggled up in my greenhouse.  They look so weedy and pathetic, it is amazing to think what they should look like in 6 months time.

gwencross

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 08:48:28 »
Why so early with the leeks?I've just sown mine outdoors with a view to harvesting after New year when most other vegs have given up.
Gwen

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 09:16:38 »
1. Another early bird for outdoors ? - I reckon mine would disappear if I did it now.

2. Why are we 'early'? Because we start pulling our leeks in late August! Then the next lot go through to May. You'll see that Ceri is way ahead of us - right or wrong! = Tim

Beer_Belly

• Acre
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 06:08:19 »
Great idea with the heating pad Ina - I've got one I use for wine making - I'll use that.

-B_B-

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2004, 06:39:32 »
why so early for me?  Firstly because the leek boss man advised so!  Secondly, my household love leeks but hate cabbages - I can fit more leeks in the plot than I could cabbages so I'm going to sow some much later outside as well.  Thirdly, the more windowsills I cram with seeds the more my NGOH complains and the more likely he is to get me a greenhouse for my birthday!  There is method in my madness!  At the end of the day, if 30 or so leek seedlings give up the ghost and die I haven't really lost much and I've still got time in the growing season to have another crack.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2004, 18:23:18 »
Great idea with the heating pad Ina - I've got one I use for wine making - I'll use that.

-B_B-

Lowest setting BB.

Beer_Belly

• Acre
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2004, 06:39:02 »
It's only got one setting  ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal