Author Topic: New Allotment - How long to clear a site to be perfect???  (Read 7573 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: New Allotment - How long to clear a site to be perfect???
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 12:55:59 »
It might also be a case of the council thinking they are talking to the previous tenants...

Write down a list of everything you have done since you took over the plots. Add in a detailed rundown of the state of the plots when you took them over. Any pictures you may have will provide quick visual proof of 'what was' versus 'what is'.  If you want... add in the costs expended (particularly those you had to outlay because of the state of the plots e.g. black plastic)... all good fiscal proof of committment.

Then get to grips with the author(s) of the letter. Preferably in person, so that you can get precise answers to:

1. Why this was ever sent out.
2. On what basis.
3. On whose say-so.
4. Who provided the information stating your plots were neglected. On what date(s) was this information logged. Were photographs taken?
5. Who, in their department, checked their information, prior to the letter being sent out. And get a copy of their report. They might have a plot-mix-up.

Hopefully this will sort out the situation. Swiftly.

Always a good idea to get them to confirm, whatever is said to you as a result of this meeting, 'in writing'.

Extremely sound advice, if I may say so.  If you put all of these questions in writing, it may be worth heading it up "Freedom of Information Act Request".  The FoI Act states that they have to respond within 20 working days.  You may not get names of informants, though, which it could be claimed are subject to the Data Protection Act.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 14:12:57 »
They have to respond within 40 days, and they're entitled to charge £10 for the information. Treat this as a last resort, if only because it's unlikely to lead to good relationships in the future!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 16:52:33 »
I think that provided a letter or email is politely worded, it need not sour relationships with the local authority.

FWIW ....

From the DCA website: http://www.dca.gov.uk/foi/faqs.htm

How do I make a request?

The Act requires that all requests:
•   Are in writing (this does include emails)
•   state clearly what information is required
•   state the name of the applicant, and an address for correspondence

What happens when I make a request?

When a public authority receives a request for information, they must respond as soon as possible, and not later than 20 working days after receiving your request.
The public authority will consider your request, and reply.
The reply should confirm or deny whether or not they hold the information, and either provide the information you requested, or explain why it has not been provided, quoting an exemption under the Act.
What happens if the public authority doesn't understand my request?
Under the Freedom of Information Act, public authorities have a duty to advise and assist requesters. If the public authority doesn't understand your request, they will contact you to clarify what it is that you want.

What does it cost?

If you are requesting information contained in an authority's publication scheme, the scheme will also give details of whether (and how much) the authority will charge for providing the information.
If you are requesting information not contained within the publication scheme, the authority may charge you a fee, as laid down in Regulations.
These Regulations provide that requests which will cost less than £450 to answer (£600 for requests to central government) will be free of charge, although public authorities may charge for the cost of photocopying and postage etc.
If your request will cost more than this to answer, the public authority can refuse to answer your request, answer it for free, or charge up to and including the full cost of answering.
If you refuse to pay the fee, the public authority can refuse to supply the information

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2006, 19:57:24 »
Well!!.......I used all of the advice given when I approached the council, unfortunately the allotments officer was not available for comment, for ages, as she works part time and had last week (ie the half term) and the week before as annual leave. 

This was fair enough (I am a working mum, and was on leave myself last week for the same reason). 

The problem would appear to have been a combination of all of the suggestions - new broom sweeps clean - numbering all over the place etc.   I received a written apology this morning, and feel very humbled - the letter was detailed and very, very explanatory and (well ??!!!) nice. 

However - in an unexpected turn of events - I have been offered (and have accepted) an allotment at a site close to my home.  One that I applied for years ago and was told that it was unlikely to ever become available. 

This time I will take lots and lots and lots of photos of the site when I took it over to compile evidence of progress if I get asked again..........

Regards from a very happy allotmenteer!!!

Ann

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 20:21:42 »
Phew! Good going purple sprouting, glad to see a happy resolution :)
And good luck with the new plottie!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2006, 21:19:15 »
Sounds like all's well that ends well.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 06:33:07 »
An interesting story, and useful to others in many ways. Congratulations on the outcome.

I have taken on a second allotment in an almost completely neglected field surrounded by lovely mature trees and tall overgrown hedges. The council cuts the grass twice a year, but in between it grows rank and unhindered with large patches of nettles and brambles. There are several sites that seem to have been abandoned and three that are actively worked and productive. Another contains a ramshackle home-made shed (I love it, and want one like it) whose owner sits in an old armchair dreaming away amid a chaos of old barrels, broken tools and toys, and rough grass and nettles. The council man who measured out my plot and handed it over just looked in his direction and shrugged.

I find the place a complete paradise; I am starting to slowly dig out my patch of grass plus experimental "lasagna" beds and am completely content there.

However, your story has made me wake up. If the council were to change officers and try to get a proper grip on the site, there could be similar trouble, and I now plan to take a set of photographs myself, just in case. There is no way I can get my plot cleaned and productive within a few months, and if letters are ever sent out like yours, I need to have some sort of defence ready.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 06:39:08 »
Another contains a ramshackle home-made shed (I love it, and want one like it) whose owner sits in an old armchair dreaming away amid a chaos of old barrels, broken tools and toys, and rough grass and nettles
Yep, that's my next door neighbour too. And long may it continue :D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 08:53:45 »
It's wonderful, isn't it, that for a few pence per week one can rent a bit of England and be at peace with yourself among greenery. It was while the council man was telling me I was not allowed to put up a shed without written permission, and moreover it must be a "purpose-built shed", that I looked over at the ramshackle one, and he shrugged and grinned.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 15:09:25 »
What's a purpose-built shed anyway? You could build one out of old bits of pallet wood and it would still be 'purpose-built'.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006, 15:59:33 »
From his tone, I gathered that he meant NOT home-made but shop-bought and tidy-looking. And especially not like the one already on the site. However I liked his despairing shrug and "I don't know why we let Mr X get away with it" which encourages me to think that if I make runner bean support and throw a tarpaulin over it, I might be able to shelter from the rain without calling down the wrath of Rother.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2006, 22:43:28 »
 ???

Am I the only one baffled by the thought of an allotment site without sheds? For years i looked out of train/car/bus windows at these lovely idiosyncratic buildings on allotments and dreamed of the day when i would have one! How can a person be expected to take all tools necessary for every eventuality on the crossbar of a bike etc? My hat is off to all those who manage, I struggled with a bootful of tools til i got my current plot, now I can walk there, much more ecologically sound!

;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 00:14:12 »
I can't imagine; a shed is the first necessity of lottying. Digging equipment comes a poor second.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 10:47:52 »
Am so pleased the mix-up has been resolved so pleasantly... and a plot near your home, too!  ;)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 11:15:53 »
???

Am I the only one baffled by the thought of an allotment site without sheds?  ;)

Sheds are not allowed on our site, only those low storage boxes. It was annoying at first, but now  I got used to it. The trouble is that some of my tools are too long to fit in my box, so I have to hide them in some bushes.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 22:38:19 »
no sheds......  aherm....  :-[  so where do you pee in privacy in the winter when the toilets are closed incase the pipes freeze?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 06:22:11 »
no sheds......  aherm....  :-[  so where do you pee in privacy in the winter when the toilets are closed incase the pipes freeze?

:-[ I'll whisper busta: among the PSB
 ;D

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 09:16:40 »
when the toilets are closed incase the pipes freeze?

Toilets? Which toilets ???

Greenhouses, ponds and fruit trees are not allowed either. At least we have running water! And if that ever gets cut off, we're next to a brook ;D!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 14:19:29 »

Greenhouses, ponds and fruit trees are not allowed either.

I can understand ponds not being allowed (kids falling in them etc./public liability) but GREENHOUSES AND FRUIT TREES??????? WHY??????????????

And a shed is an intrinsic part of an allotment. I think at least 50% of the people on our plots wouldn't have an allotment if they didn't have a shed to hide from the 'outside world' in  ;D

Crazy ......
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2006, 14:23:25 »
Toilets?

::)

Time spent on allotment... directly proportional to bladder volume.

No tea to be consumed beforehand!

No sheds permitted, nothing allowed above waist-height, no cover for baring the essentials, public footpath a few feet away and in full view, no public toilets in vicinity.

They don't make it easy for folk - particularly female folk - to get stuck into allotmenteering...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 14:27:08 by Gadfium »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal