Author Topic: Annie's Birthday.  (Read 2333 times)

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
Annie's Birthday.
« on: March 15, 2004, 20:02:05 »
She was 10 years old today (as near as we can get it - cause she was found in the middle of a field between 4 and 6 weeks of age).

She loves going to her lottie.

I have a neighbour who has plots on either side of me.   On one side are several chickens who prefer my plot to their own.   This morning, three escaped on to my plot, and Annie just lay there and watched them come.  

Two came over the shed, and a third came over the 10ft high gate - I watched her audacity.

As a "sheepdog" Annie is a complete failure, so I had to herd the chickens on my own.   The two went back the way they came, but the third had to be caught.   The chicken was very quiet tucked under one arm, and Annie came to nuzzle it several times.   I asked her if she would like me to take it home and cook it just for her, and the look on her face seemed to confirm that that is what she wanted.

I couldn't kill a chicken - it's just not possible.   So the chicken went back into the pen, and Annie had to settle for a Chicken & Rice stick instead.   For lunch she had a sausage roll - now that's another story.
Every best wish, Colin.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Annie's Birthday.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 23:13:32 »
Hi Colin,

Happy Birthday to Annie  :D

She sounds such a gentle soul that I'm sure her substitute meal went down a treat.  :)

I take it she's feeling a lot better now?  

Love hearing about her.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

SueT

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 23:42:12 »
Awwwww she sounds so cute  :)
Sue

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 19:00:37 »
Hope Annie had a happy birthday Colin.  I must say she showed great restraint to leave the chickens alone.  My boys would probably have given them a right old chase :o
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 19:35:47 »
Hi Pat,yes Annie is very laid back where chickens are concerned.   I took our plot on in June 2002, and Mark took next door on at the same time.   Mine had been derelict for 5 years or more, so as soon as Mark had built the shed for his chickens on his plot, and we had secured both plots, he put about 18 chickens and a turkey chick on both plots.   He put a fence down between the two plots, but the chickens + turkey were allowed to wander at will on the two plots.

They preferred mine, and their scratching helped to clear my plot of grasses and weeds.   Annie thought the chickens to be great fun to "chase", but she never did them any harm.

The funniest was when several chickens had their heads stuck in a clump of long grass, with their bottoms sticking out, and Annie's nose sniffing theirs bums.   Eventually, they became boring, and the chickens got used to her.   It was not unusual for a chicken to walk under her belly, and she would take no notice of it, unless it pecked her toes.

Now Mark can invite her into their pen and she will totally ignore them - unless you pick one up, then she wants to nuzzle it.  
Every best wish, Colin.

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 20:49:26 »
awwwww Colin thats really sweet.

I hope my Randolf is as patient as your Annie when he grows up!

What a joy she must be

Happy Birthday Annie!

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 23:25:01 »
Mesmerised by your gif Andi.

Stared at it until my eyes crossed!!!  8)

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal