Author Topic: Gooseberry White Mould?  (Read 5967 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Gooseberry White Mould?
« on: May 27, 2006, 18:55:31 »
Had alook at our gooseberry bushes which are in a not so easy to get to place at the bottom of the garden. Noticed on quite a few of the bushes that the developing fruit has a sort of white mould on which can also be seen on some of the new plant growth (on the branches/stems) as well.

Any gooseberry experts advise on probelm and also how to rectify (hopefully not having to destroy would be good!)please? thanks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 19:13:23 by Spooky_uk »

David R

• Acre
Re: Gooseberry White Mould?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 18:58:38 »
mildew

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 22:03:01 »
Mildew on gooseberries - some varieties are more resistant than others, I grow Invicta, which has never suffered (fingers crossed here!)
Increased air circulation helps, this is one of the reasons pruning to open out the centre of the bush is done. It's worse on lush growth, so don't overfeed the bushes.
You can spray with a fungicide containing copper such as Bordeaux mixture, or try spraying with a solution of bicarbonate of soda in water, or you could use Multirose from PBI which contains myclobutanil.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 21:50:12 »
thanks for the tips. not sure what I can do to improve circulation other than chop them back. Is it safe to do this time of year?
Will investigate some spray to treat as well. thanks.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:16:41 »
I'd leave pruning out the centre, or major pruning until the back end of the year, when the leaves have dropped off. If you do it now, you may get a flush of fresh growth, which would defeat the object. It wouldn't kill the bush though.
You can tip the branches though in about late July, to help promote fruiting (for next year), take about a third of length of any new growth off.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:18:49 by jennym »

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Gooseberry Mildew
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 22:47:50 »
What you have is gooseberry mildew.  You can go on the web to find remedies, etc, but I think you will find that the only recommended treatment is to spray with a fungicide.  Personally, I prefer not to spray anything we eat with insecticide/fungicide.  That is why we got rid of our affected gooseberry bush.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal