Author Topic: Spud earthing?  (Read 1692 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Spud earthing?
« on: May 25, 2006, 20:28:35 »
Although I grew spuds last year, I was wondering how do you know when to stop earthing up? Do you gain anything more by tilling the troughs and continue earthing, I don't particularly want to do this as it is still hard graft even with the aid of a tiller.

This is how far I have got at the mo, do you think it is adequate?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Spud earthing?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 20:36:38 »
Theoretically the more buried stem you have the more tubers produced, that's why they can be grown in dustbins etc. They look well enough earthed up to me!
 :)

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 20:37:58 »
Looks like yours is about same height as mine10-12".Which I think is plenty,why keep making work for yourself.Sit back till its time to dig em up.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 20:50:12 »
mine isnt as earthed up as much as those spuddies!the stems are quite high now, think ill do some earthing up, tried for the first earlies today, had a few but small indeed!, was kinda disapointed, so hope earthing up might help

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 21:09:26 »
i planted my rows too close together, so i'm runing out of earth!! could i use half composted leaf mould?

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 23:00:03 »
I stopped earthing up a couple of weeks ago, I'll only do more if the spuds start showing through

could i use half composted leaf mould?

Yes, that's ideal

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 08:46:04 »
 ;D Thanks guys I'll leave them as is then ;) it's hard graft lugging that earth up especially as it's muddy in places. :)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 12:24:05 »
I'm running out of soil too.  Are there any other things that can be used to earth up?  would grass clippings work?

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 12:26:35 »
Yes, many people use grass clippings

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 12:55:14 »
I dug my first ever pots grown in my plot last night.  4 plants dug, and enough potatoes for 4 people.... not a huge harvest  ::) 

I'm not sure whether it's because they're first earlies, or whether it's because I didn't earth them up enough... hmm never mind, they were the tastiest potatoes I've had in a long time...

Alison

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 13:13:14 »
I am trying leaves, just piling them on the row as the plants grow. Recommended by a speaker at a gardening meeting.
Bob Flowerdew said he uses paper but would prefer to use leaves if he had enough available.
Apparently it is then possible to push the leaves aside and harvest the potatoes at the size you want, without digging up the whole plant. Small potatoes can then continue to grow.

i planted my rows too close together, so i'm runing out of earth!! could i use half composted leaf mould?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 14:34:54 »
I dug my first ever pots grown in my plot last night.  ... they were the tastiest potatoes I've had in a long time...

Red letter day eh alison? ;D Green with envy here, mine are a good month off yet!

push the leaves aside and harvest the potatoes at the size you want, without digging up the whole plant. Small potatoes can then continue to grow.

otherwise known as 'furtling' :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 14:40:10 by supersprout »

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 18:01:27 »
thanks, i'll use the half decomposed leaves, that gives me room to get more from the big pile at the lottie to start another pile.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal