Author Topic: Seed Shelf Life?  (Read 2103 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Seed Shelf Life?
« on: March 15, 2004, 17:10:26 »
I have just started off some of the seeds I got from an auction site.  I have too many seeds for my  use but dont want to swap just yet (in case of failures) So I just wanted to know how long I can expect to keep the seeds before they become useless.  The seeds are for Jacaranda and Datura.  Any advice would be a help.  Thanks
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Seed Shelf Life?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 19:09:51 »
mimi, I think I read somewhere that most seeds are viable (so long as they are kept correctly) for 3-4 years, except parsnips which you have to have new every year.  If I am wrong I am sure I shall be corrected!  ;D DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tubs

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 21:27:00 »
I keep excess seed in their packets in a sealed plastic container with a perforated sachet of Silica Gel to keep dry. Stick this in the freezer. Except for certain seeds parsnip/beetroot/ sweet corn for example, they stay in good condition for years. Brassica seed particularly.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 02:04:26 »
I hope you mean 'fridge' tubs not 'freezer

The Gardener

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 09:33:44 »
do sweetcorn seeds not last then? I was hoping to sow the ones I had left over from last year. Don't tell me I'm going to have to buy yet more seeds (unless it's true!)
gone to pot :D

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 12:02:23 »
Some seeds are more viable than others, and as has already been said it depends upon 'how they are kept'

Datura & Jacaranda;.... Datura is quite a hard seed as I recall, so I think it should be OK in second year. I don't know anything about Jacaranda.

Sweet Corn should be OK.

My method of sowing/storing.

If the packets contain more seed than I require I sow as follows;

Year 1; I sow about a third of a packet, and more often that not I get fairly good germination.

Year 2; I sow the other two thirds, and assuming I only get 50% germination this is similar to the year before.

There are some seeds that I have had for three or four years. These are generally fairly large seeds that I sow individually so don't use as many each year.

These are generally brassicas, so in succeeding years I always sow a few more than I need to allow for poorer germination results.

e.g. year 1=12 seed >>> year 2=20 seed >>>year 3=30 seed in the hope of getting 10 each year, and it works pretty well!

The Gardener

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 13:01:41 »
Sweet corn will be fine the second year.

Stephan

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 13:18:26 »
thanks TG and Cleo.
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal