Author Topic: Will my Chilli plant produce Chillis if kept indoors?  (Read 3933 times)

TonyM

• Not So New ...
Have followed the instructions to the letter and managed to get all 6 seeds to grow into healthy plants which are now starting to flower. Something tells me they need to be outdoors to pollinate / germinate or am I confused?

The packet says grow indoors or in a greenhouse with no reference to needing bees and insects to help the chilli production.

Any advice welcome.
TonyM

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Will my Chilli plant produce Chillis if kept indoors?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 21:23:54 »
They should be fine indoors as they pollinate themselves. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 21:23:54 »
Have never grown mine anywhere but indoors.  Yes, they need help, either by insect or human, for chilli production.  Personally I use an eye make up brush ;)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 21:36:41 »
Chili & tomato plants have "perfect" flowers which generally pollinate themselves as they emerge, no intervention is necessary, they'll take care of it all themselves :)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 23:14:50 »
To clarify, if they are outside and wind/insects are present, chillies will need no human intervention.  If grown inside, with lack of flying creatures/moving air, a helping human hand may be beneficial.  I grow mine in the conservatory.  The first year I did nothing and out of eight plants produced a handful of chillies.  The following year, following advice from this site I armed myself with brush and the chillies appeared in abundance.  Misting also helps.  It all comes down to agitation. ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 09:37:45 »
Agitation is the name of the game!  In the greenhouse or conservatory I give my plants a little shake when they are in flower - even ornamentals if I want seeds.  For most things this seems to work well with me.  Just be careful, they don't want a firm shake, just a little jiggle, you don't want to snap the stem!

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 15:01:08 »
Tsk ill remeber to shake mine too !!!

My chilli plants are going banana's and you can almost physically see them growing !
when i was at home Tuesday they where below the blind rail and now there above the thing and all whilst its cool !!

They have split or bushes very nicely but no flowers as yet !! did i mention there about 5 ft tall now ?
another member of i forgot my password

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 15:11:19 »
I have 2 chilli plants on my kitchen window sill which I've had for 2 years. I've never done anything to them and always have a good crop of chillies.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 15:53:49 »
Wow Carl, you have the magic touch!  Mine are really slow at getting going this year.  They are growing, just very slowely.  Oh well, plenty of time and did I mention I like roasted chillis for my Christmas dinner?  ::)

David R

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 09:02:25 »
I put my Aji out on the lotty last evening, whilst the sun was out briefly. I normally grow outside but have had excellent results indoors. Bit of hand pollination with end of finger works well, otherwise left to nature, you still get crops.

Give them tomato fertilizer and cold tea, works a treat.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 20:25:59 »
I'm with the sprayers and tappers.  :)  Until I learnt this trick a few years ago I found that many of the flowers on my indoor chillies simply dropped off.  Not anymore; I've already got a few babies.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 18:55:23 »
Im growing chillies from seed and they are currently in my greenhouse. If I move them back indoors, how big can I expect the plant to grow and how big a pot will it require?

Thanks
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 19:01:24 »
As to size it very much depends on which particular chillies you're growing Zoglet.  I grow all of mine, regardless of variety, in 8" pots which seems perfectly adequate for mine, although some recommend 10" pots.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 20:02:59 »
I grow mine in 5" pots and they reach about 18" which is ideal for the space available.  Each plant produces in the region of 20 chillies and this suits my needs. I suspect larger pots will mean bigger plants and therefore more chillies so it's just a matter of the sort of yields you require.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 20:33:58 »
The variety is called ring of fire!
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 22:41:26 »
Well snap, Zoglet ;D ;D ;D  That's the only one I'm growing this year.  Last year they grew quite large (over 2ft) in comparison to the other varieties I grew and produced loads of chillies all in 8" pots in my conservatory.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 22:55:21 »
My firecracker plant is in it's third year. Grown indoors in the conservatory.  First summer it gave me a handful of chillis,it rested  itself for a short few of weeks and then by Christmas it was flowering again,I used a make up brush on it and it went  nuts!  It went nuts all last year..which was particularly impressive as I had expected chillis heehee!   Anyway by end of summer last year it was looking worn out so... I gave it a brutal haircut.  After a quiet winter it picked up and is now again covered in chillis. All by itself with no tampering from me. It is in a 12'' pot and again is nearly 2ft though I've trimmed it again cos it was getting unreal.I love that plant,I really do!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 22:57:58 »
:o

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 23:01:55 »
I always try and keep my chillis in 3 litre pots but invariably have to pot a few on to 5 litre as they fall over otherwise. It really does depend on the variety but I've never had problems potting on even when fruits have formed.

sammyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 21:02:44 »
my four chilli plants are about three inches high with a couple of little leaves....

mm  do you think they'll grow any chillis?????????????? :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal