Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 6139 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Rhubarb
« on: March 14, 2004, 20:57:10 »
I know I am supposed to type a recipe in here but i am going to bend the rules and put in a special request...

My parents have been up this weekend to help dig over my new lottie.  As we were uncovering the bottom half (it had been covered in black plastic by the council to get rid of the weeds from the previous owner) we discovered a huge patch of rhubarb!!  My dad, never one to waste anything, moved the whole lot and replanted it so I now have 7 rhubarb plants!!!!!

I think hubbie and I are going to be drowning in it soon so any recipes you can give me to use it up would be very welcome!!   Also does it freeze?  Do you need to cook it first before freezing?

Thanks, Sparky

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 09:05:14 »
Sparky I used the first of mine last night in a Rhubarb and apple crumble pie! (also threw in my blackberries and a few plums from the freezer) it was delicious :-)  I always just chuck it in a bag to freeze, or open freeze on a tray to keep it separate, I never bother to precook mine. Have also made rhubarb wine in the past. BTW they say to avoid rhubarb if you have arthritis, it can aggravate your joints :( but as was previously mentioned somewhere on this site, the forced early stuff is ok. DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 17:27:43 »
Hi Sparky - lucky you ....

I cook rhubarb and freeze it but only because it takes up less room!

Chop rhubarb into pieces, add as much sugar as you like, and very little water into a big Pyrex caserole dish wth a lid and in the oven for 30 minutes or so - freeze in suitably sized portions.
I sometimes add orange zest or chopped ginger (or both!) at either the cooking or freezing stage.

Can be used for crumble or mixed with other things for pies but our favourite is rhubarb fool - whisk double cream until thick and add a portion of drained rhubarb - serve with biscuit curls .... calories, cholesterol and ....who cares!  It's delish!
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 18:38:25 »
Sorry - forgot the best bit.  With later rhubarb (in summer), there's all the rhubarb jams (with ginger, etc etc), and chutneys.  

I've got some recipes hidden away - hoping somebody has them to hand and can post more quickly than I can find them?

One other thought - only seven plants?  Are you sure you've got enough plants?   :)  :)  :)  

Enjoy - Gavin

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 23:38:12 »
Sparky, Here is my Rhubarb Chutney recipe. Made loads last year and it is delicious.

4lbs rhubarb trimmed and cut into small pieces
1lb. onions, skinned and diced
2 lbs Demerara sugar
1lb raisins
2 level teaspoons ground ginger
2 level teaspoons curry powder
1 and 1/2 pints malt vinegar

Place the rhubarb, onions, sugar, raisins, spices and 1/2 pint of the vinegar in a large, thick-based saucepan and cook gently until the rhubarb is soft and tender.  Add the rest of the vinegar and continue cooking steadily, stirring occasionally until a thick consistency is reached.  Put into clean warm jars and cover.

Now how easy is that!  :P  Enjoy!!  busy_lizzie  :D
live your days not count your years

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 16:36:18 »
Hey Sparky, is wonderful recip!  Put it on Recipes4all.co.uk so we can all see it for posterity!  Is Dan's new site and great place to post our amateur recipes without interferance from cheffy types!
Muddy Boots

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 17:02:28 »
Hi! MB, Have just posted one of my favourite recipes on the new Board.  Hope others will join too.   :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 20:58:52 »
Fillet of Pork with Rhubarb

Smash up a handfull of sage with garlic and a few tablespoons of oil and rub into pork fillets and leave to marinade for about an hour.   Heat the oven to 220 salt and pepper the fillets and wrap them in parma ham, spread sliced rhubarb on the bottom of a glass oven dish and place the meat on top drizzle the rest of the marinade over cover with greasproof paper and put in the oven for 15 minutes remove paper and return for another 15 minutes. I serve it with petit pois a la francaise and sliced potatoes with onions parsley and garlic in chicken stock in the oven [look like Dauphinoise]. Chezzie

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 20:27:35 »
Hi new here ,first post.

Rhubarb,bit of garden is owned by it!

Best recipes,1.Rhubarb yogurt ice,mix stewed well sweetened rhubarb with greek yogurt,freeze slowly,mixing a few times.Take out of freezer a while before serving....unless you have one of these posh ice-cream makers in which case I am jealous and will not speak to you! Awfully posh,add some glace or preserved ginger chopped finely,good enough for visitors.

2 .Rhubarb jelly,one for the kids! Stew rhubarb,mix into an orange or strawberry jelly,and leave to set. Strangely yummy.Squirty cream can be an asset. :P

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 09:14:23 »
Welcome Toots...you'll just love this group....

Wow...must try that rhubarb yogurt ice...sounds fantastic....my rhubarb has only been planted a couple of months so cant use it yet but....occasionally I get given some by my wonderful neighbours so can't wait to try it....

my kids are no longer 'in the nest' so to speak (busy making their own now) but I'd luv the jelly recipe myself...always looking for new ways to make low fat healthy eating puds!!....somehow can't seem to manage without something sweet to finish off a meal....

thanks...and enjoy being a new member.....lots to read and learn!!

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 09:25:17 »
Hi all
A rhubarb recipe that goes down well in my house is a recipe of Delia's and it is Rhubarb Crumble ice cream easy to make and no need for an ice cream maker. It is delicious on its own or served with fruit.
happy eating.
Anne

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 07:32:31 »
Hi just realised...the rhubarb jelly,put it straight from the packet into the hot rhubarb stir in and pour out into bowl to set,don't prepare it first.Sorry I did not make that clear!

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 12:20:27 »
Hey Anne!!! For those of us who don't have Delia's book could you write out the recipe for Rhubarb crumble ice cream please?

tHANKS.

Drooling in anticipation. :P

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 12:43:37 »
And for me too please Anne!

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 09:17:30 »
Hi Eileen and Chezzie.
To find Delia's recipe go to;
www,deliaonline.com/recipes/findarecipe
This is a great site, and so useful.
By the way Chezzie tried your Pork fillet with rhubarb last week, it was delicious and we will be it eating again this week.
Thanks for the recipe.
Anne

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 13:27:09 »
Thanks Georgiesgirl, we have rhubarb in the shops now but when I first made it I used rhubarb compote and that was good as well.  I'll go and get that ice crumble recipe now....yum!

claire

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2004, 22:51:20 »
and there's a very good recipe for single crust rhubarb pie, which I made yesterday - scrummy with cream.  But do as she says and get some semolina to soak up the juice - I didn't, and the base was a tad damp!!!  and rhubarb liquid all over the baking sheet.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 13:22:40 »
Claire when I make a fruit single crust pie, I sprinkle the bottom of it with plain flour and a bit of sugar to soak up the juices! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

claire

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2004, 21:50:33 »
I just found this - loads of recipes, and if you track back through the site, loads of info about rhubarb. It's a north american site - american I think - but looks ok non the less!

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-index.html#TOC46

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 14:06:49 »
I can confirm that Delia's rhubarb crumble ice cream is delicious!
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal