Author Topic: Tumbler Toms  (Read 3724 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Tumbler Toms
« on: May 20, 2006, 15:10:17 »
Have 2 hanging baskets of 2 plants each and although the baskets are not currently hanging (they are sat on top of a couple of pots at the moment) the plants are getting on for a couple of feet high now and are actually taller than the chain they will be hanging from. Is this normal ? Any adivce? I assumed they would droop over the sides but they are aiming for the sky at the moment! lol

thanks for any tips ...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: Tumbler Toms
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 17:39:24 »
can't help i'm afraid, mine are doing exactly the same  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 18:04:21 »
 ::)

Ditto with the Tumblers, thought it was just me! Have put mine out in a moment of madness, been and looked today and they have survived torrential rain and huge wind! Not grown any toms before so have no idea! I am just going to leave them to their own devices because they are just a bit of fun for me, not part of my main tom crop.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 18:19:05 »
same here!
i thought that they were wrongl labelled as last year my tumblers did that almost immediately-it seems they are a bit tall really.......
o well-gravity defying toms!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 18:47:18 »
This sounds strange. I don`t  like `tumbler` much but I grow them because some around here do and the odd shilling never goes amiss. Mine for sale are about five inches now and starting to tip over and go `stragly`-that`s what tumblers do ;)

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 19:00:12 »
My tumblers are also tall and straight with no sign of tumbling.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 19:19:14 »
I haven't got any tumbler but have grown Green Sausage which was so laid back it was almost horizontal. Have got hold of some Whippersnapper tom seeds, which has pink cherry toms and supposedly goes well in baskets so we will see!
 ;D

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 19:29:00 »
My 'Gartenperle' are about 2 foot high and showing no sign of tumbling.

They're from the free packet that came with Grow Your Own a few months ago. Now wouldn't it be funny if everyone whose toms aren't tumbling used the same seeds and it turned out that they weren't actually Gartenperle at all...

Robsa

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 19:34:19 »
nice idea but my gartenperle were T&M  ;D

but i do have a rogue Totem that bears no resemblence to it's bruvvas and sisters  :o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 19:34:59 »
I got my tomatoes muddled up but I either way some of them are the free Gartenperle and they aren't keen on tumbling yet!!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 19:40:54 »
 ;D

My Gartenperle are still sulking in a pot, about 2 ins high and doing nothing! In the spirit of always hoping for the best i am leaving them to see what happens, can't bear to ditch them!!

???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 21:47:31 »
Even the thinnings hang around for ages, can't bear to throw them out, excess at Yogurt pot stage for over a month..... if you have spare ground and plant them out they soon recover, but usually have to be picked green as soon as the dreaded blight is seen or you loose about 2/3rds
 :'(

amphibian

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 21:47:54 »
nice idea but my gartenperle were T&M  ;D

but i do have a rogue Totem that bears no resemblence to it's bruvvas and sisters  :o

I am pretty sure that GYO's seeds are supplied by T&M.

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 23:37:15 »
I've still got the packet for my Gartenperle which I got free with GYO, and they were supplied by Thompson & Morgan.  I sowed the seeds at the beginning of March and I've now got 9 plants about 12-18" high in 10 & 15cm pots, and 5 smaller plants of various sizes.  None have bent very much apart from the two biggest one which have a pronounced lean.  Perhaps they only tumble once they start producing fruit? 

The leaves on some of the bigger plants are starting to look a bit wilted and I'm wondering if they're getting a bit weak and sappy from the warm conditions, so I've put 2 in an unheated greenhouse outside to see if they'll survive tonight!  :o ;D

I think the germination rate was excellent as I got 16 germinated from 18, and 14 plants survived.  2 didn't survive my cat unfortunately! :( ;D ;D 

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 13:33:56 »
I've still got the packet for my Gartenperle which I got free with GYO, and they were supplied by Thompson & Morgan.  I sowed the seeds at the beginning of March and I've now got 9 plants about 12-18" high in 10 & 15cm pots, and 5 smaller plants of various sizes.  None have bent very much apart from the two biggest one which have a pronounced lean.  Perhaps they only tumble once they start producing fruit? 

The leaves on some of the bigger plants are starting to look a bit wilted and I'm wondering if they're getting a bit weak and sappy from the warm conditions, so I've put 2 in an unheated greenhouse outside to see if they'll survive tonight!  :o ;D

I think the germination rate was excellent as I got 16 germinated from 18, and 14 plants survived.  2 didn't survive my cat unfortunately! :( ;D ;D 

Dave

Of the ones I sowed two are huge, one has even forked and they seem content on heading up and up like Jack's bean stalk. The other is about two inches tall and sulky, I have no idea why I haven't binned it. If they continue this upright stance, I'll have to give them cages rather than a basket.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 16:57:12 »
My freebie Gartenperles are between 8" and 12" long and all 4 of them are 'tumbling'   ;D  Nothing to do with the gales blowing them horizontal! ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 17:18:22 »
my 'Gartenperle' were also freebies with GYO mag.....after what I thought was a very slow start (altho they all germinated) I now have about a dozen strong looking plants between 8 & 10" tall but showing no sign of 'tumbling'

9 are still in the unheated greenhouse I share but 3 are now indoors (again)....this is because last Wednesday late morning, I brought 3 out of the greenhouse and placed them on my patio table - along with other stuff, to gradually try to 'harden them off' ready for putting into hanging baskets - then went out for rest of the day........while out, the rain just fell down & the wind blew hard!

when I got home mid evening, my 3 plants were very badly knocked about and had bent right over in their pots and altho they've straightened up more or less, two have permanent 'kinks' in them.....they're now back indoors (cos greenhouse is some distance away) waiting for weather to improve so they can go back outside!!

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 20:20:35 »
I wondered too whether they'd put the wrong seed in the packets, as mine are showing no sign at all of tumbling - the ones in the greenhouse are standing straight up at aboyt 9" tall, and the ones outside in hanging baskets are bearing flowers at 4" tall! Funny old game, gardening. Win some, lose some...

greatpalm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 22:30:29 »
I have sown a number of "Garden Pearl" seeds and they are now about a foot tall and look more like cordons than tumbling plants. I have also sown a number of "Tumbling Tom" seeds and these are tumbling nicely as I was expecting. Will stick with these next year.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 22:44:06 »
I've grown Tumblers for years in hanging baskets, and they do start off growing upwards even if you plant them sideways (I usually plant at an angle, so that as much stem as possible is buried in the basket to produce more roots). At some point they become top heavy and twist round, and then the top starts to grow upwards again leaving it in a sort-of Sherlock Holmes pipe shape! I tend to encourage mine to do this early on, when the stems are still bendy enough to twist without snapping.

Eventually gravity wins. When fruit starts to set, it will just head downwards.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal