Author Topic: Has anyone made Dandelion wine?  (Read 1805 times)

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
Has anyone made Dandelion wine?
« on: May 20, 2006, 09:54:00 »
Hi, we're not only new to gardening but have in the last couple of months started brewing our own beer and wine.

So far results have been good and the queue of demijohns next to the radiator seems to grow weekly!

We found an old book (1950's) of wine recipes and have tried a couple of them (and modified some to our taste), which has been fun. In this book was a recipe for dandelion wine, so we sent the kids off out to collect the heads and started it off.

Have any of you tried something similar (with dandelion heads) and what did it taste like??

Just hoping the year long wait (as said in book) is going to be worth it!
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Has anyone made Dandelion wine?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 21:59:34 »
Yep been there. Dandelion petals can make  a nice country wine. Books from the 50s tend to be too sweet so when they say 3lbs of sugar try a kilo

It tastes like dandelion wine -has a honey overtone if you use that instead of all sugar . Been over 20 years since I gave up showing the stuff though

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 20:44:56 »
I did once.
Must admit, didn't really follow a particular recipe, but the end result was revolting, and I ended up chucking it.
I used the whole head, not just petals, so that may have had something to do with it. Other wines I make are fine.
Do let us know how it turns out, and post the recipe if it's any good - there's a vast supply of dandelions here  ;D

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 21:14:38 »
Have never made any drinks with produce, other than the wonderful sloe gin, but hubby is collecting dandelions this weekend to have a go at making dandelion beer.  Would be really interested to hear how the wine turns out and would greatly appreciate the recipie if a success.  I'm sure it will be.

Hippychick.
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:21:55 »
Thanks for the replies. Will let you all know what it turns out like....here's hoping it's nice lol

:D
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal