Author Topic: Early Tomato sowing -The results  (Read 2086 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Early Tomato sowing -The results
« on: March 14, 2004, 17:31:43 »
Here are the results of tomato sowing made 5/3/04:

Variety                Sown            Germinated

Subarctic plenty    12                7

Sungella               12                5

Shirley                 8                  5

Gardeners Delight  12                 4!

Not good eh? I have chosen to grow more varieties this year and sowed more seed, yet at present (assuming all survive and grow on) I have less plants than grown last year and obviously less than i need to grow. I am currently considering a second sowing at the end of the month to boost numbers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Early Tomato sowing -The results
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 18:00:45 »
That is poor Richard.  I was chuffed with mine, almost full marks so have more plants than I really wanted!  :o  Some came up very quickly, and some have only just started to show, and yours have only been in 9 days, I would give them longer yet before you give up on them.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 09:06:35 »
I sowed mine on 25.2 and I think virtually all the seeds germinated. Some took about two to three weeks, but they are all up. Give them a little more time and I'm sure you'll see more.
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 09:28:57 »
No one says in what, where & at what temp?? - Tim

rdak

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 09:33:13 »
I got 100% germination of 'Sungold' - sown on damp seed compost, lightly covered with compost, placed plastic lid over tray and placed in warm airing cupboard. They took 1-2 days to germinate.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 09:38:10 »
good point Tim...

my varieties are: Roma VI (or is it IV?), Christmas grapes, black plum, yellow plum and berner rosen.

Grown in two-inch pots with multi-purpose peat-free compost, covered with plastic bottles. Placed on living windowsill (warm and sunny) during the day and on the floor over night (it's warmer away from drafty windows). Once germinated, placed on kitchen windowsill - still bright, but slightly cooler.
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal