Author Topic: PTFE Cloth?  (Read 2246 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
PTFE Cloth?
« on: May 18, 2006, 12:29:14 »
The big thing about it - as you all know? - is that the food caramelises, rather than the pan!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: PTFE Cloth?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:45:46 »
holding my hand up here, Tim....what's a PTFE cloth, please? Enquiring mind needs to know......also.....hmmmm...

I can burn sausages any time - don't need any special equipment to do it 8) Natural talent... ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 13:00:24 »
I do not use PTFE products (teflon) for cooking, because of the uncertainty over the health issues. Stainless steel, crockery, glass or enamelled only for me.

eg ... http://tuberose.com/Teflon.html

Purely a personal standpoint of course, not a soapbox.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 13:02:49 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 13:05:53 »
Interesting. No studies on teflon-coated cookwear been done, I note.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 16:55:25 »
Google it!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 17:11:25 »
1. Yes, Lishka - I too can burn things - you can't smell it happening in the AGA! But, as with a roast, where even the best chef 'deglazes' the pan - because the lovely goo has stuck to it - so with most things. I like the caramel to be stuck to the thing I'm eating, & not to the pan that I have to wash up!

2. PTFE? - I take Curry's point, but I have used the same piece for 30 years without noticeable deterioration in any family member. At least it doesn't flake like many cheap 'non-stick' pans do - & people actually eat the debris!!

And I am not embarassed to say that most of our pans are Berndes or SKK. And they don't flake.

No soap-box, Curry - just talk!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 17:24:26 by tim »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 17:29:44 »
Well! Now that I know what it is, what's good enough for Ower Tim and his family's good enough for me. :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 17:59:31 »
By the way - Lakeland call it 'Magic non-stick Liner'. Same thing. Always cut oversize for the pan to prevent seepage under.

Keeps the caramel on things like fish fingers, peppers, chops, chicken wings - you name it!! And a clean pan!

Sorry, Curry. Just talking!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 18:03:04 by tim »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 18:42:06 »
Please don't apologise Tim (and others), everyone's view or opinion is welcomed and valued !

My observations on PTFE by the way, were not based upon flaking, which is very evident on 'cheap' pans, but on the ability to withstand temperatures which can be achieved in gas ovens and on rings. Sadly the information is alarmist, rather than purely straight forward, but I accept that is the nature of so much non technical reporting. I am sure that the risk is a lot less than presented, for as has already been commented, we are all still standing.

And as I said before, just an observation and opinion, soap boxes are more useful to me as kindling !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 18:50:41 »
This is all grist to the mill?

The Food & Drug Administration has found non-stick coatings acceptable for conventional kitchen use. Also, in 2003 the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission rejected a petition to require a label warning for non-stick coatings. Health regulatory agencies across the globe have approved the use of TeflonĀ® cookware.

Fluoropolymers impart valuable properties, including fire resistance and oil, stain, grease, and water repellency. They are used to provide non-stick surfaces on cookware and waterproof, breathable membranes for clothing. They are employed in hundreds of other uses in almost all industry segments, including the aerospace, automotive, building/construction, chemical processing, electrical and electronics, semiconductor, and textile industries. Telomers are used as surfactants and as surface treatment chemicals in many products, including fire fighting foams; personal care and cleaning products; and oil, stain, grease, and water repellent coatings on carpet, textiles, leather, and paper.

Which all goes to show that it's difficult to get away from the stuff? It's even in your weatherproof jackets!

Better, long term, than smoking? NO - let's leave alcohol out of this!!

PS Good point about 'rings' - gas or electric.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 19:19:07 by tim »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 19:38:41 »
By the way - Lakeland call it 'Magic non-stick Liner'. Same thing. Always cut oversize for the pan to prevent seepage under.

Keeps the caramel on things like fish fingers, peppers, chops, chicken wings - you name it!! And a clean pan!

Oh, that!!Wouldn't be without it. Great stuff. (never had caramel on fish fingers, tho, Tim ;)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 19:40:22 »
I'll send you a photo!

But what about my GARLIC time??

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 19:43:04 »