Author Topic: Thieving B#st#rds!!!  (Read 2138 times)

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
Thieving B#st#rds!!!
« on: May 13, 2006, 22:21:33 »
Went out to our site today to be told that last night our communial storage facility had been broken into >:( .Not sure what was stolen yet but its no coincidence that a travelling fair is in the area.The crime rate always goes up when they arrive for their twice yearly visit and it looks like its our turn to recieve a nightly visit.So we have had to remove all our tools of any value from our shed including our wheelbarrow which means lugging it to and from our plot everytime we use it and to make it worse we have only just brought it and have been looking forward to being able to use it.
I have read various posts about shed security but they used bolt cutters to cut the padlock so it looks like there is nothing we can do to prevent it happening again.Even cementing a length of chain into a bucket won't work because they just cut the padlocks.Im well used to all sorts of crimes but how pathetic to bother stealing peoples spades and forks!!
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Thieving B#st#rds!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 22:38:16 »
You have my sympathies, I think most allotments get hit at various times. I have actually been attacked when I challenged by an intruder, he claimed to have a knife, the police werent interested, except in filing a report ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

ann hunter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 21:47:49 »
This brings to mind a thread I read recently, cant remember where. Regarding security on sites. Being an increasingly people with young  kids site, a reminder to lock the gate  behind you when you enter and leave the site helps daytime security and safety of plot holders.
I had tools stolen my second year on site, was told we get hit on average once every 4 years - watch this space!
when the going gets tough..........

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 13:27:11 »
Our crime rate rises dramatically when the Fair is in town though usually with purse snatches - particularly in supermarkets - and minor vandalism, yet how any vandalism can be classed as minor is beyond me. Unless carried out by minors... but then wouldn't "minor vandalism" be the minors that are being vandalised. Mmmm...

It irritates me tremendously that greater policing doesn't come into effect when known peaks (or reasons) have been identified. All we get is a police notice issued through the newspapers telling people to be a bit more careful with their purses...

Our site is a fair bit out of town and on the other side of town to the fair ground, though that may not always keep people away.  One hopes that as a key player in our association is an ex-copper our security would be good enough.  The gate always seems to be open which is useful for pre-work 7am visits but...

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 14:12:26 »
My sympathies are with you also.

We regularly have break in's down at the lotties, 3 of the gardens so far this week have had sheds broken into!

Security is a major problem here no matter what time of year. We have security gates on every entry and the secretary of the allotments is often keeping watch over the place until after 2am!

Only a fortnight ago we caught 2 youths coming out of a plot (over the fence in daylight) who strolled off casually when asked what they were doing, and yesterday there was a gang of kids aged from 12 - 16ish wandering around where they shouldn't be.

It's a constant worry as our shed was broken into last year ( they stole a hammer and left my saddles for the horses!) and our old caravan was burnt to the ground last month (which had been previously broken into).

We do try to go there every day at varied times, but do sometimes think that it's pretty hopeless.

Not only do they break in and steal things they also damage property and our spirits. This week someone has also been into our almost finished polytunnel and ripped the plastic, we found rifle pellets inside next to the tear and can only assume they were trying to get the rabbits that are everywhere.

Irresponsible, disrespectful, thieving, lying B******s!!!

But as said in another post, there isn't even much that can be done if we catch them in the act!
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 17:23:20 »
..and unfortunately, tools stolen on Friday can be flogged at a car boot on Saturday....nice little earner  >:(.....praps that's why your saddles didn't go. MB.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 09:38:53 »
Possibly Alishka, I keep the saddles at home now anyway just to be on the safe side.

As others have said, it's wise not to leave anything there that you can't afford to replace.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal