Author Topic: Bubble wrap  (Read 5163 times)

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
Bubble wrap
« on: March 13, 2004, 21:47:13 »
Hi all, I've got hold of a decent length of bubble wrap, does anyone have any bright ideas on how it could be used on the lottie?
Has anyone used it to good effect as a cloche for example?

Any ideas welcome  :)

jams

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Bubble wrap
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 09:15:21 »
Make a natty overall for this weather?? = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 09:29:38 »
Pin aframe round some of it for use as a cold frame top? A frame with legs would make a decent cloche, me thinks. Jammy Jammyd.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 12:21:27 »
chap on our site has used lengths of old hosepipe - the stiff type - pushed into the ground to forms loops....if you know what I mean.... like this ' n n n ' and then has plastic laid over the top and weighted down on the sides with pieces of wood, but I have seen some where the edges of the plassy are buried.  Could use the bubble wrap for that.  All mine gets used in the greenhouse to keep my babies snug as bugs in bubble wrap rugs.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 13:15:55 »
Try threading some galvanised fence wire down the hosepipe, Ej.  You`ll get much stiffer, stronger loops than with just hose pipe alone, and make very cheap cloches with a sheet of polythene or bubble wrap.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 13:27:50 »
aha-the water pipe and plastic cloches-they are great and cheap. I use copper tubing as anchors.

As regards bubble wrap likewise to EJ mine gets used in the greenhouses,but once it gets`tired` ie a bit dirty and ragged from being put up a couple of times-I use it to cover the ground for things like early spuds or just to keep an area dry.

Stephan.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 13:51:53 »
So Stephan, do you mean that you use the bubble wrap as protection once your early spuds are in?  I ask cos as you know, I have got myself a nice piece of fleece with the original intention of getting my earlies in, then I thought I might use the corrogated plassy I have, but it was pointed out it could make a greenhouse effect for the spuds, so, would bubble wrap provide protection?  I would like to use my fleece to get some early carrots in.   ;D questions questions questions, sorry, but I really wanna get the most out of my plot, and show them b*ggers on the site that I do know what I am doing - they keep looking at me like I have lost the plot!  :-\

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 11:03:08 »
Thanks for the ideas all - I'll see what I can knock up! Although after yesterday's winds, I think I'll need to use bricks, not bubblewrap  :-\
j

p.s. EJ, if I have any bubblewrap left over, I could send you some - just in case you're chilly... Nice piccy   ;D

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 12:52:21 »
Hi again EJ-yes I use old bubble wrap over the spuds if there is likely to be a frost once they start to show through-but then I do have lot of.

Stephan.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 13:18:02 »
oooh marvellous - have tons of the stuff still from when we moved! I shall be making bubble wrap closhes too.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 13:39:45 »
me to aqui, right, spuds are going in tomorrow.  Yippee!!  ;D

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 15:03:21 »
aquilegia - I initially read 'I'll be making bubblewrap clothes as well' and the mind boggled for a while - the allotment equivalent of Zandra Rhodes came to mind!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 16:42:42 »
LOL @ Ceri!  ;D
gone to pot :D

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 09:50:21 »
I think i'll make some bubblewrap clothes - they'd be nice and warm I bet  ;)

-B_B-

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal