Author Topic: Dead heading a camellia  (Read 2488 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Dead heading a camellia
« on: May 16, 2006, 15:45:48 »
How do I do it please, given that some of the leaves with be sacrified...this OK? (this camellia was a prezzie and I've GOT to get it right) ::)  It will need moving from the pot it's in - ericacious compost? Any more tips? Intend to keep it in a tub so that it can be moved into the g/house (unheated but frost-free) for the winter.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Re: Dead heading a camellia
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 16:33:02 »
Guess it's a japonica type camellia if it's hanging onto its brown flowers.  My Wisley camellia handbook says "Most [japonica] spent flowers can be dislodged by tapping the branches sharply with a stick".  Apparently corporal punishment of camellias is still allowed ;D

Yes to ericacious.  Over to others more knowledgeable...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 16:46:34 »
Many thanks Jill. The prezzie didn't come with a name tag :( - the flowers are pure white (now browning) and super-abundant.

ps when I received notification it read "deadheading a camel".....so capital rather than corporal? ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 17:59:23 »
Despite all the Camelia houses in big Gardens like Woolaton Hall (Nottingham) they are not tender, but in small pots might still be worth taking them in! The protection just stops the flowers browning prematurely with frost damage. I prefer to twist out any deadheads.
 ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 18:09:34 »
Many thanks.....all advice greatfully received. This was a very 'special' present, hence the clucking over it like one of Heldi's broody hens ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal