Author Topic: compost  (Read 2270 times)

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
Re: compost
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 11:52:39 »
Soak some nettles in a large bucket of water to make an infusion. Diluted it makes a great feed.

PP
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2006, 12:31:46 »
Anything organic will compost: the world isn't knee deep in dead Horsetail plants, and as they have been around since the Carboniferous Period we would be otherwise! Try to compost a few in a compost bag or three, one inside the other to avoid puncture, we do this with couch and it makes an excellent mulch after 2-3 years... and no I haven't reintroduced couch even when I used some after one season and the couch was still recognisable as pieces of root!
 ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 12:50:11 »
I agree: starting off my current allotment, I bagged up all the nasty weeds with persistent roots such as creeping buttercup, couch grass, bindweed, dandelion, docks, nettles (What a depressing list) and three years later put them back into the soil with a great deal of vengeful satisfaction as a nice brown mixture which certainly did not spring back to life.

That allotment is reasonably clean now - just needs regular hoeing for weed seedlings and a close watch around the edges where the communal grass paths creep into the plot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal