Author Topic: What's going on with my rhubarb?!  (Read 1258 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
What's going on with my rhubarb?!
« on: May 11, 2006, 16:05:24 »
I have two rhubarb crowns, Timperly Early, that I planted last year.
While one is doing ok, the other (which was fine up until a month or so ago) lost a lot of the new growth so that there is just one leaf left, which has turned yellow, limp, and is covered in holes.
What is it and should I dig it up and discard?

Many thanks!  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What's going on with my rhubarb?!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 18:41:24 »
Haven't got a scoobys.... none of mine have ever reacted like that, hope somebodty else can be more informative but it doesn't sound good!
 ???

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 20:50:28 »
I had a couple like that from Wilko that performed in a similar way that were tucked in a corner, I left them or rather forgot about them and now they have produced flower heads that I removed and am now looking forward to rhubarb and custard shortly. ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 07:16:09 »
is very hard to kill rhubarb, so I woul not panic too much.

There was some on our plot when we took it on and the councill ran it over with the tractor when they rotivated for us.... we thought it was a gonna but has come up in 4 places!

It could be that the crown is planted too low? they like their crown to sit proud above the soil? could be getting too damp maybe if it is under the soil?
This happened to the one we had in the garden (which we planted ourself) that looked very sorry for itself last year... so dug it up and raised it by a couple of inches and it is fine this year.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 11:07:37 »
Thank you very much everyone! Daisymay, thanks, I'll try to raise it up a bit and see if that helps. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 16:19:51 »
Mine has never seemed to care what depth I planted it. We're going to be feasting on rhubarb crumble every week for the next couple of months.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal