Author Topic: Tomato puzzle  (Read 1218 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Tomato puzzle
« on: May 05, 2006, 16:20:25 »
A puzzle for the weekend!

I have grown two types of tomatoes but early on they got muddled up!  They were sown on the same day and have been treated the same.

They are either Gardener's Delight or Gartenperle.  Now I think this means I have one cordon and one bush/tumbling variety so I am now wondering how to treat them with regards pinching out, canes etc etc if I don't know which is which!  There are some subtle differences now they are bigger - the first variety shown has darker leaves with a 'sharper' outline and more pronounced veins.  The other has leaves with a more 'oak leaf' shape and is a paler green.  This second variety seems shorter than the first and is the first to start flowering.

Any ideas?
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
Re: Tomato puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 16:24:34 »
weeeeell..hazarding a guess.....and i'm no Hexpert..but the paler oak leaf one is gardeners delight-i havent grown gartenperle so i wouldnt know-but the other one looks like my gd's....... ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 17:19:10 »
the second one looks like one of my gartenperles if thats a help.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 17:59:44 »
I haven`t grown Garen Pearl for some years-but in the spirit of all this I fetched a GD from the greenhouse.

It is mid green and the leaves are-Oak shaped,then two smaller shield shaped,repeat once and an oak shaped leader

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 21:20:27 »
I don't have enough young plants for a very accurate comparison but my GDs (planted at the same time as Gartenperle) are much sturdier plants with their leaves held more outright.    The Gartenperle seem to be droopier in habit   (either that or I need to get their watering right  :( !)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 15:43:33 »
The first one looks more like a cordon than the lower.  It is more upright and hasn't got such prolific growth near the base, which suggests to me the lower one is more bushy/tumbling.
 ???
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 15:46:47 »
Hee Hee - thanks all for trying - I didn't think I would get a definitive answer!    ;)

I guess I'll just carry on - shove them in and see........unless anyone else has any thoughts on which is which???
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 17:07:30 »
I think the Garden Pearl won't grow very tall anyway, so you will be able to see soon for yourself which is which. Here are some pics of mine anyway to compare:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal