Author Topic: Chillington hoe - But which one  (Read 9381 times)

KeithR

• Not So New ...
Chillington hoe - But which one
« on: May 04, 2006, 15:29:20 »
I have just about made up my mind to get a Chillington hoe but I can't decide whether I need one of the square ones or one of the triangular ones. Over the last year I have spade dug the allotment so a lot of the heavy work is done. My confusion came when I went on a website -www.bobstoolbox.co.uk/GardeningNewTools. which listed all the types of hoe etc.( gave me too much information)

So any thoughts would be gratefully received from Chillington owners/users.

Cheers

KeithR

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Chillington hoe - But which one
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 15:35:35 »
Hi Keith, I have 2 Chilingtons, and wouldn't be without em!
I have the Canterbury fork, and the Trenching hoe, (which is great for the tough stuff) didn't realise they do a light hoe too, hmmmmmmmm  that may be handy,  may have to invest in the future! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 15:42:42 »
Broke my aluminium thing yesterday, earthing up the potatoes.

Another reason for not doing it??

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 18:24:14 »
I have a big square one but really struggle to keep the handle on and it drives me mad - anyone have any ideas?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 18:45:54 »
I use the big square one but it does tend to spin around a bit on the shaft, I have tried to pin it but it has a mind of its own. To dig potato trenches OH prefers to use the trenching spade. What really bugs me being 6' is how small most tools are. OH bought me an extra long fork from one maker and it was as short as the others! Before I was ill I used to break at least one fork a year on neglected allotments... even I havenot managed to break a big Chillington Hoe.
 ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 19:10:07 »
Andrew, how about soaking the handle, (tool end) in water, then re-apply the hoe and bang it down several times on a hard surface? Or last resort, a nail or 3? ;D ;D
(or you could contact Chillington and ask their advice?)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Chief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 20:28:46 »
Hi Keith,
I have also got a chillington hoe a large square one the name on the shaft is a chillington alligator I was lucky to have it given to me to help out with my new overgrown plot.I have to admit I was ages before using it as it did tend to spin around on the shaft but after a bit of practice I got used to it and now wish I had used it earlier it saves plenty of hard work and can be used for a multitude of tasks.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 21:08:32 »
I can see where the trouble is with those hoes on the site that Keith mentioned. The hole and shaft are round. Until I saw the pics I couldn't work out the problem because my old one has an oval hole and shaft like a pickaxe or a traditional hammer. Next time your head comes off Andrew, would the kind of thing below help? If the end of the handle is actually bigger than the hole in your head it should stay put.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 22:13:33 »
Hi Keith, the Chillington hoe really got people going in this thread, useful links and instructions for use, worth a browse:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,12088.0

Still admiring that package geoff :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 22:19:25 by supersprout »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 22:59:17 »
You used to be able to get metal wedges in ironmongers for that sort of thing. They do still exist, if you're in the right place. I prefer the pickaxe-type handle though.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 16:54:48 »
I got a Chillington-type hoe, and a Canterbury fork from this site .... http://www.get-digging.co.uk/index.html which was recommended by someone here on A4A.  The hoe is the 7" one, and it's great for trenching and clearing couch grass.  I don't use the Canterbury fork as much, but it's pretty good for preparing a bed prior to planting.

I find that I still use the traditional British-style spade and fork, but the right-angled versions certainly have their place.  I rarely go down to the lottie without them.

No problems on these ones with the heads rotating or coming off the shaft, BTW.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 20:35:43 »
Thanks, I'll look out for some metal wedges

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal