Author Topic: Broken runner bean tip - Ooops!  (Read 8681 times)

GaryJS

• Not So New ...
  • Huddersfield
Broken runner bean tip - Ooops!
« on: May 03, 2006, 15:08:45 »
Hi all! This is my first post! I have been browsing for a while and picking up some good tips from the Wiki. This is the first year that I am trying to grow a bit of my own in my garden!

So far I have some potatoes (in a container) that are massive (I think the must be ready for harvesting anytime), carrots (germinated), lettuce (germinated), tomato (sick looking totum seedlings.. resown), winter cabbage and lettuce (sown late last year), Sprouts (red bull - germinated) and some runner beans (on my window atm).

Unfortunately, I had a bit of an accident last night. The runner beans are getting a bit big for indoors and decided to twist themselves together. Whilst I was un-twisting them, the growing tip snapped off one. I seem to remember hearing that if you did that then you got a bush instead of a climber. Is this true? Should I sow a replacement (I didn't have a spare due to lack of germination)?

Would you say it was safe to plant runner beans out yet? I know it's a little on the early side but the weather forcast looks good! (YAY!)  :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 15:46:52 by GaryJS »

David R

• Acre
Re: Broken runner bean tip - Ooops!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 16:36:06 »
does happen, but not to worry.

not a huge expert on runners but their natural tendency to climb will not stop. the plant may throw out a couple of shoots instead of the one leader, but these will still climb, perhaps winding round each other like your separate plants did.

GaryJS

• Not So New ...
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 16:50:35 »
Good new! Thanks! Maybe I will plant them out tonight  ::)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 16:53:43 »
Welcome to the forum Gary :D Last year I grew some runners as dwarves, which meant nipping out the shoots regularly, so they would grow as a bush instead of a climber, like you say. They threw out plenty of new shoots during the season which had to be nipped off regularly, so don't worry about breaking off the tips, they will sprout from the next leaf joint down. I guess they just wanna climb! Good luck and happy gardening :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 16:57:04 by supersprout »

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 18:11:15 »
could be a bit early but if you can give them protection if the weather takes a turn for the worst then it might be worth a try. i have just sown mine to go out end of may.

GaryJS

• Not So New ...
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 09:34:00 »
Fingers crossed for the weather :)

I planted them out last night!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal